Italy - ITA235H5F: Italian History and Culture Through Food
Taste the food and visit the places you learn about in Cucina Italiana (ITA235). You will cook, eat, and learn in an all-inclusive trip through Rome, Bologna, and Florence as you become ever more familiar with the history and cultural traditions of Italy.
Spend 8 amazing days traveling through Italy savoring its world-renowned dishes and learning how to make pasta alongside your classmates and your Professor Teresa Lobalsamo.
- A historical food tour through the centre of Rome;
- Pasta making classes in Bologna - the culinary capital of Italy;
- Learning about the Slow Food Movement on site, at several authenticated food factories;
- Tasting Italy's famous cuisine in Florence and meeting the families that have traditionally served these treasures over the years;
- Learning the history of food and how to make pasta on a farm outside of Bologna.
Click here for a detailed itinerary.
- Experience first-hand the rich history of Italian food;
- Engage in an active learning environment that will be educational, practical and unforgettable;
- Add international travel and learning experience to your resume;
- Have the experience recognized on your Co-Curricular Record.
Dates: Saturday, October 7th, 2017 (depart) - Saturday, October 14th, 2017 (return)
Estimated cost*: CAD$3900-4100
*Funding available for up to half the cost of the international component based on financial need. Click here to learn more.
*The cost of this trip is posted pending approval based on the University’s Policy on Ancillary Fees. Updates will be posted as needed.
Selection criteria: Students must be enrolled in ITA235H5F to participate in the international experience and will be required to abide by the application requirements and deadlines. Applicants will be selected based on their application.
Applications will open at 12 pm (noon) on Friday, May 19, 2017 and close at 12 pm (noon) on Monday, June 19, 2017.
|Friday, May 19, 2017||Applications Open|
|Monday, June 19, 2017||Applications Close|
|Wednesday, July 5, 2017||Second Instalment Due|
|Monday, July 31, 2017||Third Instalment Due|
|Monday, August 21, 2017||Fourth Instalment Due|
|Monday, September 11, 2017||Fifth Instalment Due|
|September 2017 *exact date to be determined||Pre-Departure Session|
|September 2017 *exact date to be determined||Second Pre-Departure Session|
|September 2017 *exact dates to be determined||Mandatory Safety Abroad Workshop|
Need to know
- The cost and itinerary are subject to change;
- Students must be enrolled in ITA235H5F and will be required to abide by the corresponding UTM Abroad application requirements and deadlines to participate in the international experience;
- Payments can be made over five installments. Fees must be paid in full by the required deadlines;
- To prepare for the trip, students attending will participate in a mandatory pre-departure and safety abroad session.