Italy - ITA235H5F: Italian History and Culture Through Food
Taste the food and visit the places you learn about in Cucina Italiana (ITA235). You will cook, eat, and learn in an all-inclusive trip through Rome, Bologna, and Florence as you become ever more familiar with the history and cultural traditions of Italy.
Spend 8 amazing days traveling through Italy savoring its world-renowned dishes and learning how to make pasta alongside your classmates and Professor Teresa Lobalsamo.
- An historical food tour through the centre of Rome;
- Learning about the Slow Food Movement on site, at several authenticated food factories;
- Pasta-making classes in Bologna - the culinary capital of Italy;
- Tasting Italy's famous cuisine in Florence and meeting the families that have traditionally served these treasures over the years;
- Learning the history of food and how to make pasta on a farm outside of Bologna.
Click here for a detailed itinerary.
- Experience, first-hand, the rich history of Italian food;
- Engage in an active learning environment that will be educational, practical, and unforgettable;
- Add international experience to your resume.
Dates: Saturday, October 7th, 2017 (depart) - Saturday, October 14th, 2017 (return)
Estimated cost*: CAD$3900-4100
*Funding available for up to half the cost of the international component based on financial need. Click here to learn more.
*The cost of this trip is posted pending approval based on the University’s Policy on Ancillary Fees. Updates will be posted as needed.
Selection criteria: The international component of this course is open to students enrolled in an Italian course at the University of Toronto. Interested students will be required to abide by the application requirements and deadlines. Applicants will be selected based on their application.
Applications will open at 12 pm (noon) on Friday, May 19, 2017 and close at 12 pm (noon) on Monday, July 10, 2017.
|Friday, May 19, 2017||Applications Open|
|Monday, July 10, 2017||Applications Close|
|Monday, July 24, 2017||Second Instalment Due|
|Monday, August 7, 2017||Third Instalment Due|
|Monday, August 28, 2017||Fourth Instalment Due|
|Monday, September 11, 2017||Fifth Instalment Due|
|September 2017 *exact date to be determined||Pre-Departure Session|
|September 2017 *exact dates to be determined||Mandatory Safety Abroad Workshop|
Need to know
- The cost and itinerary are subject to change;
- Students must be enrolled in an Italian course and will be required to abide by the corresponding UTM Abroad application requirements and deadlines to participate in the international experience;
- Payments can be made over five installments. Fees must be paid in full by the required deadlines;
- To prepare for the trip, students attending will participate in a mandatory pre-departure and safety abroad session during the month of September;
- Participants in ITA235 will engage in discussions and complete short term reflections ("One Minute Paper") while abroad as a requirement of the course. Students in other Italian courses can complete the same reflections for Co-Curricular Record recognition.