London & Paris - FAH287H5S: European Art of the Nineteenth Century
Ignite your passion for nineteenth-century European art and architecture. Absorb a wealth of knowledge and be inspired by what London and Paris have to offer.
The institutions and sites you will visit house a diverse range of artworks exemplifying the different schools of thought and styles of art that FAH287H5S introduces in the classroom.
Over the course of 10 days you will travel, learn about the development of European art, and share your passion with your classmates and Professor Alison Syme.
- Studying masterpieces of British art in the Tate Gallery;
- Exploring decorative art at the Victoria and Albert Museum;
- Visiting landmarks of world architecture in London and Paris;
- Encountering the treasures of the Louvre first hand;
- Discovering Impressionist art the Musée de l'Orangerie and the Musée d'Orsay;
- Attending special exhibitions in both cities;
- Enjoying a variety of other artistic forms such as ballet and theatre.
Click here for a detailed itinerary.
- Explore some of the finest collections of art in the world;
- Learn about the development of European art by immersing yourself in the rich history that Paris and London offer;
- Develop visual literacy and critical thinking skills through encounters with artworks in a variety of media;
- Appreciate iconic works of architecture;
- Discover two of the most vibrant cities in Europe;
- Add international travel and learning experience to your resume;
- Bond with fellow classmates and the professor through your mutual love for art.
Dates: Friday, February 16th, 2018 (depart) - Sunday, February 25th, 2018 (return)
Estimated cost*: CAD$3700-3950
*UTM Abroad funding available for up to half the cost of the international component based on financial need. Click here to learn more.
** Additional funding may be available to students enrolled in the Art and Art History Program. Click here to apply.
Selection criteria: Students must be enrolled in FAH287H5S to participate in the international experience and will be required to abide by the application requirements and deadlines. Applicants will be selected based on their application and a follow up interview.
Applications will open at 12 pm (noon) on Monday, September 11, 2017 and close at 12 pm (noon) on Monday, October 2, 2017.
|Monday, September 11, 2017||Applications Open|
|Monday, October 2, 2017||Applications Close|
|Wednesday, October 18 - Friday, October 20, 2017||Interviews|
|Tuesday, October 24, 2017||Offers sent|
|Monday, October 30, 2017||Second Instalment Due|
|Monday, November 20, 2017||Third Instalment Due|
|Friday, December 15, 2017||Fourth Instalment Due|
|January *exact date to be determined||Orientation|
|January *exact date to be determined||Mandatory Safety Abroad Workshop|
|Wednesday, January 17, 2018||Fifth Instalment Due|
Need to know
- The cost and itinerary are subject to change;
- Students must be enrolled in FAH287H5S and will be required to abide by the corresponding UTM Abroad application requirements and deadlines to participate in the international experience;
- Payments can be made over five installments. Fees must be paid in full by the required deadlines;
- To prepare for the trip, students attending will participate in a mandatory pre-departure and safety abroad session.