Terms of Participation, Fees and Refunds
Terms of Participation
- Participants must complete the required application by the specified deadline as found on the UTM Abroad website;
- Participants must accurately complete and submit the UTM Abroad medical form by the specified application deadline. When required, the participant must submit an additional medical form signed by a physician;
- Participants must meet all outlined payment deadlines and participate in all the required sessions/events leading up to the international experience as well as reintegration and reflection events or activities held after the experience. This may include lunch and learns, training sessions, community events, pre-departure orientations, etc.;
- Participants will continue to adhere to the University of Toronto policies including but not limited to the Code of Student Conduct and the Policy and Procedures: Sexual Harassment;
- Participants are required to participate in a Safety Abroad workshop at UTM or at the Centre for International Experience and must register with the Safety Abroad database prior to departure;
- Participants are responsible for familiarizing themselves and acknowledging the risk of the particular out-of-country activity, taking appropriate precautions as needed. Participants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with and monitor the Government of Canada Travel Advisories https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories as well as refer to the Safety Abroad website for additional details and resources;
- Participants are responsible for making a self-assessment regarding appropriateness of participation;
- Participants must connect with the appropriate resource on campus and make any requests for accommodation within 30-days of the application deadline;
- Participants are responsible for obtaining and providing proof of their travel insurance at least 30-days prior to departure. Participants are responsible for determining the adequacy of their travel insurance and ensuring it meets their medical and experiential needs for the duration of the international experience;
- Participants are responsible for obtaining appropriate travel documentation (e.g. visitor visas). Refunds will not be awarded for trip cancellations due to delayed visa applications;
- Participants agree to the sharing of their health and safety information with the University of Toronto staff member supporting the international experience for use in the case of an emergency;
- Participants agree to the sharing of information between University services for matters related to their health and safety;
- Participants are responsible for obtaining any required immunizations, seeking medical advice as needed prior to departure and ensuring they have any required medication readily available to them during the international experience. Participants are encouraged to visit the Public Health Agency of Canada website for information regarding travel vaccinations http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/countries-pays/index-eng.php;
- Participants are encouraged to purchase trip cancellation insurance;
- Information collected through this program may be shared with relevant parties internal and external to the University as required for the proper implementation of the program.
- All applicants are required to submit a $250 non-refundable first instalment by the application deadline to be considered for participation in any of the UTM Abroad Courses or Co-Curricular Experiences;
- All fees must be paid in full by the deadlines outlined on the UTM Abroad website. Failure to meet payment deadlines may result in the cancellation of the applicant's offer of participation in the program with no refund of fees;
- The fees posted include flights, transportation in-country, meals, accommodation and tours/activities listed in the corresponding itinerary;
- Fees associated with travel insurance, additional optional tours/activities while abroad, visa applications, medical exams, vaccination and any other additional costs are not included in the program fees;
- Participants will be held liable for any fees associated with damages caused to the facilities visited or used for accommodation during the international travel experience.
Fee Payment Schedule
The fee payment schedule for all UTM Abroad Courses can be found under the Payments section.
- The $250 first instalment may only be refunded under the following circumstances:
- In the event of a trip cancellation at the University's discretion based on health and safety concerns, insufficient enrollment in the program or any other unforeseen circumstances;
- In the event that we are not able to extend an offer of participation due to space limitations or if the applicant is not accepted into the course.
- All remaining fees are non-refundable.
- Should the participant face unforeseen circumstances prohibiting them from participating in the program, they should submit an appeal to the International Education Centre detailing their circumstances and providing any relevant documentation. At the discretion of the University and under exceptional circumstances, fees not including the first instalment may be refunded under the following schedule:
Cancellation prior to the third instalment deadline.
Partial refund of the second instalment paid minus a 3% administration fee. The first instalment is not refundable.
Cancellation prior to the fourth instalment deadline.
Partial refund of the second instalment paid minus a 3% administration fee. The first and third instalments are not refundable.
Cancellation after the final instalment deadline and prior to the travel date.
Partial refund of the second and fourth and/or fifth instalment paid minus a 3% administration fee. The first and third instalments are not refundable.