General FAQs

Can I get funding to go on a UTM Abroad Trip?

YES! We are striving to make these programs as accessible as possible, so we have multiple funding options. Check them out here. Check out detailed Funding Information Here

What happens if the course associated with my UTM Abroad Academic Experience conflicts with another course on my timetable?

If the course it conflicts with is a program requirement, then you can withdraw from the program and will receive the first installment back. If the course it conflicts with is not a program requirement, and you choose to take it, you will have to withdraw from the UTM Abroad program at your own expense. You can learn more about refunds here.

Do I have to apply for any travel documents (ex. Visa) myself?

If you need any travel documents, then yes, it is up to you to apply for those. We will let you know soon after you apply if you do or do not need travel documents, and we will support you with any letters you require to apply for those documents.

Do I have to buy travel (health) insurance?

Travelers Insurance that covers stolen/lost luggage and belongings is optional. Travelers Health Insurance is NOT optional. You are responsible for obtaining travel health insurance before your trip. If you have not opted out of UTMSU's Health Care and Dental Plan, you can visit the Info Booth in the student centre to learn about your travel health insurance options through them. 

How much money do I have to bring with me?

Flights, transportation, accommodation, meals and in-country activities associated with the course are covered in your fees. However, if you would like to buy souvenirs or additional snacks etc., then research where you are travelling to learn about average costs of common items.

Do I need to bring cash/credit card with me?

It’s always handy to come into the country with a bit of cash to switch at money changers once you arrive or some local currency if you are able to order it at your bank beforehand. It’s highly advised to have a credit card on you while abroad.

What luggage do I need (ex. Hiking backpack/suitcase/duffle bag)?

You will be advised on which to take. It’s all dependant on the travel experience you go on.

What kind of footwear do I need?

Some travel experiences will involve hiking so in that case you will need hiking boots/shoes. Other experiences will only need to have good walking shoes or sandals. You will be advised which is best to take in your predeparture sessions.

Who do I contact when I have questions?

You can contact us at or drop by the IEC (DV2071) Monday to Friday 12:30pm to 4:00pm to chat with us. If you are participating in an experience you will recieve trip specific contact information in your pre-departure sessions. 

Can I bring my cellphone?

Yes, but you are responsible for it in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Can I bring a(n expensive) camera?

Yes, but you are responsible for it in the event that it is lost or stolen.‚Äč