Even if you do not have to file an income tax return, you may wish to do so to:
- Claim a tax refund;
- Apply for the GST/HST credit;
- Use any tuition, education, and textbook amounts to offset future income tax obligations.
If you are in Canada as an international student, it is important that you understand your obligations under Canada's tax system. To learn more, explore the International Students and Income Tax video series. You can also consult:
- Are you an international student studying in Canada?
- International students in Canada
- Canada Revenue Agency website
- T2202A: Tuition, Education and Textbooks Certificate
How can I file my taxes online?
The Canada Revenue Agency allows many people to file their income tax and benefit return for the current year online using its NETFILE service and a NETFILE-certified software product. Click the follow links to find out more about: