Individual Tax Number

If you are in Canada as an international student, it is important that you understand your obligations under Canada's tax system. To learn more, visit Income Tax Returns in Canada.

To file an income tax return in Canada you require a SIN (Social Insurance Number); however, if you are not eligible for a SIN (do not have a job or job offer), you may apply for an Individual Tax Number (ITN).

In order to apply for the ITN, you will need to have the following documents notarized:

  • Your Study Permit
  • Your Passport

Notary Services at UTM

The Dean of Student Affairs is providing notary services by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, please visit us during drop-in advising in DV2071.

To access this service you will need to bring with you: 

  • Your T-Card
  • Your original Study Permit
  • Your original Passport
  • $10.00 cash (exact change is appreciated)