Service Applies To: 

Beginning December 1, 2017, the Mississauga, Scarborough and Downtown Toronto offices will be issuing TCards for new students who are REGISTERED for the Winter 2018 session.

School of Continuing Studies (SCS) Students are advised to obtain a TCard Permission Letter from the School of Continuing Studies before visiting the TCard Office to have their photo taken. You can request this letter directly from the School of Continuing Studies: TCard Permission Letter. Note that TCard Permission Letters cannot be issued prior to the first day of a course.

University of Toronto Identification Card (TCard)

View the transcript for the TCard (student ID cards) video.

As a student, staff or faculty member of University of Toronto you are eligible for a TCard, your official University of Toronto photo ID card.

The TCard has many uses, both around campus and off-campus. Your TCard serves as:

  • printing and photocopying card
  • library card
  • an electronic key card controlling access to RAWC, library and labs
  • identification card for exams, voting on campus, student discounts
  • fare-free UTM shuttle service card
  • for unlimited fare-free rides on MiWay, Mississauga Transit’s bus system (in conjunction with UPass)
  • and a debit card which can be used to purchase food at select locations on campus


University of Toronto Mississauga Campus TCard Office

Room CCT 0160A, Lower Level, CCT Atrium
Information & Instructional Technology Services (I&ITS) Service Desk
3359 Mississauga Rd North
Mississauga, Ontario. L5L 1C6
905-828-5344 option #3

Our location at UTM (CCT Building):

Regular Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday:             8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Saturday & Sunday           Closed


Downtown Toronto (St. George) Campus TCard Office

Downtown Toronto (St. George) Campus
Koffler Student Service Centre 214 College Street, First floor


University of Toronto Scarborough Campus TCard Office

Room BV498A
1265 Military Trail
Toronto, Ontario. M1C 1A4


Criteria to obtain your first TCard

Undergraduate, graduate and School of Continuing Studies students must be admitted or registered for classes at the University of Toronto. University entitlements are based on current status, not future status.

To establish your identity and legal status, you must bring your offer of admission letter and valid original documents/IDs listed below. Proof of legal status is required in order to begin your studies at the University of Toronto. Students whose legal status documentation does not match their status in the University's records system will not be issued a TCard and will be directed to their Office of the Registrar instead.

If you are a Canadian citizen, you will need to provide proof of both your legal status and identity through one of the following options:

  • Option 1: Your valid Canadian passport; or
  • Option 2: Both your birth certificate issued by a Canadian jurisdiction and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID or
  • Option 3: Your Canadian Citizenship Card or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID

If you are an international student,

If you are a permanent resident of Canada, please bring either:

  • Option 1: Your valid Permanent Resident Card and one piece of government-issued photo ID or
  • Option 2: Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) and one piece of government-issued photo ID or
  • Option 3: Record of Landing (IMM1000) and one piece of government-issued photo ID.

If you are an individual recognized by the federal government as being registered under the Indian Act, we will accept both the existing Canadian Certificate of Indian Status as well as the new Secure Certificate of Indian Status card (SCIS). The existing laminated cards will still be valid until the expiry date has lapsed.

All documents listed above must be: (1) original; (2) valid (i.e. not expired); (3) in the same name as the applicant. The name must be the same as the name on the application and the university’s records systems. If there has been a name change, a marriage certificate or other documentation supporting the name change must be provided. Any name change must be completed on the university’s records system before the issuance of a replacement or new TCard. Please allow five business days from the date we receive your request, for your records to be updated.

Please note: Only originals or certified true copies of documents are accepted. UTM undergraduate students must report any changes to their status, and submit supporting documents to UTM’s Office of the Registrar (


Faculty, Staff and Visitors - Long-Term Guests

Faculty and staff can get their TCards from any TCard office. Bring your personnel number OR your UTORid, along with one piece of valid Canadian government issued photo I.D or a valid passport.  Please note that the name in the HR records must match the name on your government documents. 

Visitors, if you do not have a personnel number OR your UTORid and are not entered through the University of Toronto’s Human Resources systems but you are required to have access to U of T services, including Library services, you will need to provide a letter from a University of Toronto sponsor with the following info:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Start and end date of employment/visit
  • Signed and dated  by a sponsoring department

Visit Long Term and Short Term UTORid’s for more information.


School of Continuing Studies Students - Permission Letter

As a student at the School of Continuing Studies, you are eligible to obtain a University of Toronto TCard. Your TCard is a photo ID smartcard that provides identification for academic purposes, student activities and services, facility access and serves as a library card. The TCard also provides users the option to carry a cash value in the computer chip. The card can then be used for the purchase of photocopies and computer printing. To obtain your TCard you will be required to present a Permission Letter (issued by the School of Continuing Studies Office of the Registrar) to the U of T TCard Office at any location. Permission letters are issued on or after the course start date. Privileges will be available for the duration of your course.

You can request the Permission Letter, in person, from the School of Continuing Studies Student and Instructor Services information desk located on the first floor of 158 St. George Street. You can also make your request by email to or by telephone by calling 416.978.2400. Please note, your letter will be ready to pick up one business day following your request from SCS Registrar Office, unless you request that the letter be sent to you as an email attachment. To request the letter, please visit


GO Student ID

Eligibility for GO Transit Student ID’s is restricted to undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in a full course load for the fall and winter terms. You may visit GO Transit’s policies and legal terms here.

GO Transit will begin issuing 2016-2017 passes using their online application form as of October 1, 2016.

Apply Online 

  1. Complete the GO Transit Student ID Request Form
  2. You will be emailed a direct link to the application form. Complete the form within 10 days, as the link will expire.

Getting Your Pass
Upon approval, you will receive an email with your pass. You can download it right to your phone, or print a copy to keep in your wallet. Either option will be accepted by GO Transit Safety Staff.

If you are not eligible for a pass, you will receive an email detailing the reason for the decline.

Contact Information & Additional Details
Phone: (416) 869-3600 ext. 7272
Information on GO Student ID

GO Transit  Quick Links 

Transit Trip Planner:
Fare Calculator:
Station pages:


TCard Services - Terms and Conditions

A TCard is issued to qualifying students, staff, and faculty at the University of Toronto.  It is to be kept for the duration of their studies/employment, and is to be used only by the person to whom it is issued.  The TCard and the TCard photo are the property of the University of Toronto. You must present your TCard upon request by the University or its service providers.

You may not use your TCard for any illegal, improper or unlawful purpose. You are responsible for the safekeeping of your TCard and must not lend or permit others to use your TCard for any purpose. You must report the loss or theft of your TCard immediately to the TCard Office, the Library, and your meal plan provider. Altering, falsifying, misuse, lending or selling a TCard is prohibited and may be subject to sanctions, pursuant to the University’s regulations, policies and procedures (including for example, the Code of Student Conduct, the Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters), and may also be subject to civil or criminal proceedings.

Notice of Collection of Your Personal Information
Personal information that you provide to the University is collected pursuant to section 2(14) of the University of Toronto Act, 1971. Information is collected for the purpose of administering registration, academic programs, safety, financial assistance and awards, and graduation. At all times your personal information will be protected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

If you have questions, please refer to or contact:
Manager, TCard Administration
Robarts Library, Rm 2054A
130 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5

Retention of Photo Records
TCard digital photo records are kept on secure University servers. The stored digital photo will be removed from University servers one year after graduation or after three years of no registration activity. Students who re-enroll after the photo has been deleted will be required to have their photo retaken.

Replacement Cards
A fee will be charged for all lost cards. New digital photos will be captured at the discretion of the TCard Office staff. A student cannot be issued or hold more than one TCard. Valid photo identification and legal status documentation is required to obtain a replacement card.


Replacement TCards

If you have lost your TCard:
In order to replace your TCard, you will need to visit our office with your student number or UTORid, one piece of valid government-issued photo ID and the $20 replacement fee (debit or credit only). Library, building access, U-Pass and athletic services will not be active on your new card immediately, as the new TCard is subject to a 1-2 business day processing delay.

  • If you have lost your Tcard and are not immediately replacing it, please report it to the UTM Library at 905-828-5236.
  • If you have a meal plan, you should also either report the loss to UTM Hospitality Office at 905-569-4795 or freeze your Meal Plan Account by visiting the link below:
    Online Meal Plan Management System.
  • If your TCard is turned into our office, you will receive an email from us (to the registered email address in ACORN).         

Replacement due to damage:
You are responsible for the care of your TCard. If your card is deemed damaged, you will be required to pay the $20 replacement fee (debit or credit only). Damage can include use of stickers, hole punching, significant wear on the card within a short period of time, damage to the mag stripe or image. Library, building access, U-Pass and athletic services will not be active on your new card immediately, as the new TCard is subject to a 1-2 business day processing delay.

A few tips on taking care of your TCard:

  • Your TCard should be carried in your wallet, or another protective card carrier, away from other cards and vinyl windows.
  • Do not carry your TCard in your pocket or in your bag unless it is in a non-vinyl protective case.

If you find a lost TCard:
Bring it to the TCard Office, or send it to the office via campus mail.

TCard Office will then:

  • contact the cardholder
  • save them from having to pay for a replacement
  • eliminate the hassle of transferring cash value from one card to another
  • ensure services associated with the card aren’t accessed by someone else


TCard Services Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question about your TCard? Check out answers to our most commonly asked questions below:

If we have not answered your question, please contact us at 905-828-5344, option #3  or