Starting April 17, 2017 the Mississauga, Downtown Toronto and Scarborough Campus Offices will be issuing TCards for new students who are REGISTERED for the Summer 2017 session.

Service Applies To: 

University of Toronto Identification Card (TCard)

View the transcript for the TCard (student ID cards) video.

As a student, staff or faculty member of University of Toronto you are eligible for a TCard, your official University of Toronto photo ID card.

The TCard has many uses, both around campus and off-campus. Your TCard serves as:

  • printing and photocopying card
  • library card
  • an electronic key card controlling access to RAWC, library and labs
  • identification card for exams, voting on campus, student discounts
  • fare-free UTM shuttle service card
  • for unlimited fare-free rides on MiWay, Mississauga Transit’s bus system (in conjunction with UPass)
  • and a debit card which can be used to purchase food at select locations on campus

Your first TCard can be obtained at the TCard Office.

There is a replacement fee ($12.00) for lost, damaged or stolen TCards.


University of Toronto Mississauga Campus TCard Office

Room CCT 0160A, Lower Level, CCT Atrium
Information & Instructional Technology Services (I&ITS) Service Desk
3359 Mississauga Rd North
Mississauga, Ontario. L5L 1C6
905-828-5344 option #3

Our location at UTM (CCT Building):

Regular Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday:             8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Saturday & Sunday           Closed

Downtown Toronto (St. George) Campus TCard Office

Downtown Toronto (St. George) Campus
Koffler Student Service Centre 214 College Street, First floor

University of Toronto Scarborough Campus TCard Office

Room BV498A
1265 Military Trail
Toronto, Ontario. M1C 1A4


Criteria to obtain your first TCard

Undergraduate, graduate and School of Continuing Studies students must be admitted or registered for classes at the University of Toronto. University entitlements are based on current status, not future status.

To establish your identity and citizenship, you must bring your offer of admission letter and valid original documents/IDs listed below. Proof of citizenship is required in order to begin your studies at the University of Toronto. Students whose citizenship documentation does not match their status in the University's records system will not be issued a TCard and will be directed to their Office of the Registrar instead.

If you are a Canadian citizen, you will need to provide proof of both your citizenship and identity through one of the following options:

  • Option 1: Your valid Canadian passport; or
  • Option 2: Both your birth certificate issued by a Canadian jurisdiction and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID or
  • Option 3: Your Canadian Citizenship Card or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID

If you are an international student,

If you are a permanent resident of Canada, please bring either:

  • Option 1: Your valid Permanent Resident Card and one piece of government-issued photo ID or
  • Option 2: Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) and one piece of government-issued photo ID or
  • Option 3: Record of Landing (IMM1000) and one piece of government-issued photo ID.

If you are an individual recognized by the federal government as being registered under the Indian Act, we will accept both the existing Canadian Certificate of Indian Status as well as the new Secure Certificate of Indian Status card (SCIS). The existing laminated cards will still be valid until the expiry date has lapsed.

All documents listed above must be: (1) original; (2) valid (i.e. not expired); (3) in the same name as the applicant. The name must be the same as the name on the application and the university’s records systems. If there has been a name change, a marriage certificate or other documentation supporting the name change must be provided. Any name change must be completed on the university’s records system before the issuance of a replacement or new TCard. Please allow five business days from the date we receive your request, for your records to be updated.

Please note: Only originals or certified true copies of documents are accepted. UTM students must report any changes to their status, and submit supporting documents to UTM’s Office of the Registrar (


Temporary Accounts/Long-Term Guests

Contractors, visiting scholars, and guests will need to have a sponsoring department submit a request in writing to the TCard Office.  Information requested to be printed on letterhead is:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Start and end date of employment/visit
  • Signed and dated  by a sponsoring department

For more information please visit .


School of Continuing Studies Students

As a student at the School of Continuing Studies, you are eligible to obtain a University of Toronto TCard. Your TCard is a photo ID smartcard that provides identification for academic purposes, student activities and services, facility access and serves as a library card. The TCard also provides users the option to carry a cash value in the computer chip. The card can then be used for the purchase of photocopies and computer printing. To obtain your TCard you will be required to present a Permission Letter (issued by the School of Continuing Studies Office of the Registrar) to the U of T TCard Office at any location. Permission letters are issued on or after the course start date. Privileges will be available for the duration of your course.

You can request the Permission Letter, in person, from the School of Continuing Studies Student and Instructor Services information desk located on the first floor of 158 St. George Street. You can also make your request by email to or by telephone by calling 416.978.2400. Please note, your letter will be ready to pick up one business day following your request. For more information, please visit .


GO Student ID

Student ID cards is going online!   As of October 1, 2016 you can apply for your GO Transit Student ID Card online. The TCard offices no longer issue the GO Transit ID’s in person – you must apply online!

Eligibility and other info

Eligibility for GO Transit Student ID’s is restricted to undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in a full course load for the fall and winter terms. You may visit GO Transit’s policies and legal terms here.

GO Transit will begin issuing 2016-2017 passes using their online application form as of October 1, 2016.

Apply Online 

  1. Complete the GO Transit Student ID Request Form
  2. You will be emailed a direct link to the application form. Complete the form within 10 days, as the link will expire.

Getting Your Pass
Upon approval, you will receive an email with your pass. You can download it right to your phone, or print a copy to keep in your wallet. Either option will be accepted by GO Transit Safety Staff.

If you are not eligible for a pass, you will receive an email detailing the reason for the decline.

Contact Information & Additional Details

Phone: (416) 869-3600 ext. 7272
Information on GO Student ID

GO Transit  Quick Links 

Transit Trip Planner:
Fare Calculator:
Station pages:


TCard Services - Terms and Conditions

A TCard is issued to qualifying students, staff, and faculty at the University of Toronto.  It is to be kept for the duration of their studies/employment, and is to be used only by the person to whom it is issued.  The TCard and the TCard photo are the property of the University of Toronto. You must present your TCard upon request by the University or its service providers.

You may not use your TCard for any illegal, improper or unlawful purpose. You are responsible for the safekeeping of your TCard and must not lend or permit others to use your TCard for any purpose. You must report the loss or theft of your TCard immediately to the TCard Office, the Library, and your meal plan provider. Altering, falsifying, misuse, lending or selling a TCard is prohibited and may be subject to sanctions, pursuant to the University’s regulations, policies and procedures (including for example, the Code of Student Conduct, the Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters), and may also be subject to civil or criminal proceedings.

Notice of Collection of Your Personal Information
Personal information that you provide to the University is collected pursuant to section 2(14) of the University of Toronto Act, 1971. Information is collected for the purpose of administering registration, academic programs, safety, financial assistance and awards, and graduation. At all times your personal information will be protected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

If you have questions, please refer to or contact:
Manager, TCard Administration
Robarts Library, Rm 2054A
130 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5

Retention of Photo Records
TCard digital photo records are kept on secure University servers. The stored digital photo will be removed from University servers one year after graduation or after three years of no registration activity. Students who re-enroll after the photo has been deleted will be required to have their photo retaken.

Replacement Cards
A fee will be charged for all lost cards. New digital photos will be captured at the discretion of the TCard Office staff. A student cannot be issued or hold more than one TCard. Valid photo identification and citizenship documentation is required to obtain a replacement card.


Replacement TCards

In order to replace your TCard at UTM, you will need to visit our office with your student number or UTORid, one piece of valid government-issued photo ID and the $12 replacement fee (cash not accepted).

  • If you have lost your Tcard and are not immediately replacing it, please report it to the UTM Library at 905-828-5236.
  • If you have a meal plan, you should also either report the loss to UTM Hospitality Office at 905-569-4795 or freeze your Meal Plan Account by visiting the link below:
    Online Meal Plan Management System.
  • If your TCard is turned into our office, you will receive an email from us (to the registered email address in ROSI).

You are responsible for the care of your TCard. If your card is deemed damaged, you will be required to pay the $12 replacement fee. Damage can include use of stickers, hole punching, significant wear on the card within a short period of time, damage to the mag stripe or image.


TCard Services Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question about your TCard? Check out answers to our most commonly asked questions below. If we have not answered your question, please contact us at 905-828-5344, option #3  or

Q. I found my previously issued TCard. Can it be reactivated? Can I get a refund?
A. No, previously issued TCards are permanently cancelled and cannot be reactivated. We do not offer refunds after a card has been replaced.

Q. My TCard is damaged, do I have to pay for a replacement?
A. If your card is damaged, there is a $12 replacement fee. If it is defective, the fee is waived. This can only be determined by visiting our office with your TCard for assessment. You will need to present one piece of valid Government Issue photo I.D when you obtain a replacement TCard.

Q. When do I have to get my TCard by?
A. There is no deadline to obtaining your TCard other than you must have current registered status.

Q. I want my picture retaken, can I get a new TCard?
A. We will replace a TCard at request. A $12 replacement fee will be charged.

Q. Can I have more than one TCard?
A. No, students may only hold one TCard at a time, as per the TCard Terms and Conditions .

Q. Do I have to come in to the Tard Office for a replacement card?
A. Yes, replacement cards can only be issued in person for security reasons.

Q. Can I get my TCard at one of the other campuses?
A. As long as you qualify and provide the required documentation, you will be able to obtain your TCard at any of the three campus offices.

Q. How can I enroll in courses if I don’t have my TCard?
A. Currently ROSI is running in tandem with ACORN. You can enroll in courses using this system. To login you will need your UofT student number and the initial password is your date of birth (YYMMDD).

Q. Who needs a TCard?
A. Anyone with a relationship with the University; including students, staff and faculty. Your TCard serves as the official card on campus for your entire University career. If you leave the University and then return, you will continue to use your TCard.

Q. Can I use a photocopy or scan on my phone of the required documents?
A. The TCard office can only accept original documentation. Electronic or photocopies are not accepted.

Q. I have been re-admitted to U of T and I still have my old TCard. Can I continue to use it at the libraries, etc. or will I need to obtain a new card?
A. As long as your TCard functions, you can continue to use it. If you have any issues with the operation of your TCard, please visit our office with your TCard for assessment. If you cannot be identified by the image on the TCard, you will need to present government issue photo I.D.

Q. I want to unfreeze my UTM meal plan account. Can I do this online or over the phone?
A. No. For security reasons, you must bring your TCard to the Hospitality Office (William G.Davis Building, Room 3127) in person to unfreeze your stored value account(s).

Q. Do you take passport photos?
A. No, we do not take passport photos.

Q. I lost my plastic card sleeve with both my TCard  and my UPass in it. Can I get a UPass replacement at UTM's TCard Office?
A. No, you cannot obtain a UPass replacement at UTM's TCard Office. Please go to our Student Centre Building, Room 115 for your UPass replacement.  UPass replacements cost $100 (cash only).