Student Housing Advisory Committee
The Student Housing Advisory Committee provides students with a forum to voice opinions and ideas to the University of Toronto Mississauga department of Student Housing & Residence Life, and serves to facilitate bi-directional communication between students and housing staff.
Student representatives provide input and feedback on matters pertaining to housing services, programming for students, resources and departmental budget priorities. Areas of interest for which student feedback and discussion is invaluable include:
- Student needs in various communities, including undergraduate, graduate/professional, bachelor & family communities;
- Housing policies, services, student conduct structures, customer service and engagement issues;
- Budgetary priorities for the department and housing fee consultation;
- Advocates for positive impact on student behaviour in support of their academic success;
- Student-focused marketing and communications within housing.
Membership is composed of the following student representatives:
- Two (2) Graduate Student (non-family) Representatives
- One (1) Family Representative
- Three (3) UTM Undergraduate Residence Council Executives
- Two (2) UTM First Year Residence Community Representatives
- One (1) UTM Upper Year Residence Community Representative
- One (1) Residence Life Don
- One (1) Residence Experience Coach
- One (1) Residence Service Desk Staff
Meetings will be scheduled to occur semi-regularly based on member availability and upcoming deadlines/points of consultation. During the months of October & November, however, meetings will occur more regularly to facilitate the budgetary consultation process on the following dates:
- SHAC Meeting #1 - Wednesday September 30, 2015 @ 8am in Oscar Peterson Hall
- SHAC Meeting #2 - Wednesday October 7, 2015 @ 8am in Oscar Peterson Hall
- SHAC Meeting #3 - Wednesday October 21, 2015 @ 8am in Oscar Peterson Hall
- SHAC Meeting #4 - Wednesday October 28, 2015 @ 8am in Oscar Peterson Hall
- SHAC Meeting #5 - Wednesday November 04, 2015 @ 8am in Oscar Peterson hall
Student Representative Elections
All interested student candidates are instructed to draft a brief statement (approx. 250 words) outlining his/her interest in the opportunity. Completed statements are to be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday September 18, 2015. Representatives will be elected by a majority of completed ballots. For any roles that are not acclaimed, an online voting period open to all residence students will take place from September 23-25, 2015. During this voting period, students will have the opportunity to vote for a representative(s) from their particular community within the residence population.
Successful representatives will be invited to attend the first meeting on Wednesday September 30, 2015 from 8-9am.
Attendance & Punctuality
All members are required to attend all regular SHAC meetings unless otherwise stated. If a member is unable to attend a particular meeting, he/she is instructed to contact email@example.com at least 48 hrs. in advance. If a member is absent for more than one SHAC meeting in a given semester they may be removed from their role.