International Students in Residence

Why choose to live in residence?

All first year residence communities are developed as Academic Living Communities: you will be living in a community with students who are in the same or a similar academic discipline – meaning you’ll already have something in common!

Moreover, to support your transition, your Peer Academic Leader (PAL) and Don live nearby to help answer questions, lead seminars, social events and study sessions. Our first year communities make it easy to walk to class, review notes and study for exams with your neighbours and roommates!

UTM also offers a unique Undergraduate International Guarantee - see below!

Can't visit us? Check out our virtual tour of residence!

Undergraduate International Guarantee

New international fee-paying, permit-holding undergraduate students admitted to the University of Toronto Mississauga, who receive a University of Toronto Housing Guarantee for their first year of study, also will receive an exclusive four-year International Student Housing Guarantee*.

*The minimum returning eligibility requirements for the International Student Housing Guarantee:

  • Complete a minimum of 3.0 credits in the previous academic year at the University of Toronto Mississauga;
  • Achieve a minimum 1.5 cumulative grade-point average (GPA) in the previous academic year;
  • Maintain continuous residency on-campus for each of the four years of the guarantee, with the exception of summer terms;
  • Maintain full-time student status for the duration of their on-campus residency;
  • Maintain international permit-holding student status for the duration of their on-campus residency;
  • Abide by the policies, procedures, payment deadlines and community standards as outlined in the UTM Student Housing & Residence Life Undergraduate Occupancy Agreement, and have no more than 4 discipline points from previous years on residence;
  • Abide all application deadlines and procedures.

Translated Application Guides

In an effort to support our International students through the residence application process, our First Year Application Guide has been translated into different languages.

If you do not see your language listed below, please feel free to reach out to us directly for more support and guidance.

Want to volunteer? Contact for more information on how to volunteer your translation skills.

Disclaimer: Student Housing & Residence Life will not be held liable for any miscommunication or misinterpretation as a result of the translation of this guide.

UTM 2016-2017 Undergraduate First Year Application Guide - Português

UTM 2016-2017 Undergraduate First Year Application Guide - 中文 (Traditional Chinese)

UTM 2016-2017 Undergraduate First Year Application Guide - 中文 (Simplified Chinese)

International Resident Programming

International student support and diversity are very important to our department. We provide our international students with opportunities to explore the Greater Toronto Area allowing them to feel both connected and supported while living on residence. For example, this past academic year the department took students to visit a Pumpkin Patch in the fall and went to watch the Kinky Boots musical production in the winter semester. Through our intentional programming model we ensure that our international students are thought of and that our student leaders are incorporating your needs.

It is important to us to hear from our students so part of our planning includes collecting information from our international students and including them in our processes. Additionally, we build a close connection to the International Education Centre (IEC) and provide our students with the option to connect with successful upper year students to learn new ways of getting involved and how to be successful during your academic journey.

2015-2016 Act One Program

In 2015-2016, Student Housing & Residence Life offered an exciting and fun way to improve your English and accent. Act One is a drama program for English language learners.



International Student Resources

International Education Centre

The International Education Centre is a fantastic campus resource that is here just for you! We strongly encourage you to visit and explore all the great content on their website: 


Some key information to highlight:

  • University Health Insurance Plan - The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for certain international students to ensure you have basic health care coverage while studying in Ontario. International students in residence will receive their UHIP card during move-in day.
  • Valid Post-Secondary Study Permit and Visitor Visa (When Applicable) - To study in Canada, international student need a valid post-secondary study permit and may require a visitor visa depending on their country of citizenship
  • Pre-Arrival Information - As an international student, you may be excited and overwhelmed by your decision to study in Canada. The International Education Centre (IEC) has compiled information and resources to help you navigate your transition, including what you need to know before and after you arrive.

Store Your Dorm

Moving to residence can be a difficult task, let alone to another country! To help make the process easier for you, consider reaching out to one of the following resources: