Student Meal Plan Policies, Terms, and Conditions 2017-18
- Student Meal Plan Applicability
- Student Meal Plan Selection
- Student Meal Plan Payment
- Student Meal Plan Changes
- Student Meal Plan Use
- Student Meal Plan Sticker
- Student Meal Plan Fund Additions
- Student Meal Plan Fund Transfers
- Student Meal Plan Carry Over
- Lost or Stolen TCards
- Student Meal Plan Cancellation and Refund
Any student at UTM can purchase a Student Meal Plan.
If you are an Undergraduate Student living in Residence at the University of Toronto Mississauga, you are required to have a Student Meal Plan.
- First-Year Students and Students living in Oscar Peterson Hall are required to select a Group A Meal Plan
- Upper-Year Students are required to select either a Group A or Group B Meal Plan
- Upper-Year Students relocating from Oscar Peterson Hall to another residence building, within the same academic year, may keep their Group A Meal Plan or may opt to change to a Group B Meal Plan
You must select your Student Meal Plan from the Meal Plan Selection page as part of the online Residence application process.
If you move into Residence late and/or applied for Residence in person, you must select your Student Meal Plan by visiting the Hospitality & Retail Services Office during office hours, or by email at email@example.com and providing your name, student ID#, and your Student Meal Plan selection.
Your Student Meal Plan will be billed by the University and will be charged to your ACORN Account in two instalments as follows:
- Group A Plans
- First Instalment: $2,800 - DUE SEPTEMBER 30th, 2017
- Second Instalment: Remaining Balance of Selected Plan - DUE NOVEMBER 30th, 2017
- Group B Plans
- First Instalment: $1,500 - DUE SEPTEMBER 30th, 2017
- Second Instalment: Remaining Balance of Selected Plan - DUE NOVEMBER 30th, 2017
- You will receive ALL of your Student Meal Plan Dollars for your Basic and Flex Accounts on the day you move into Residence.
- The second instalment posted to your ACORN Account does not represent the addition of Basic or Flex Funds to your Student Meal Plan - it represents the charge for the unpaid portion of your Student Meal Plan.
You can change your Student Meal Plan within the appropriate Student Meal Plan group, once on or prior to September 27th, 2017.
- Any subsequent Student Meal Plan changes will be subjected to an administrative fee of $50
- Any change in the type of Student Meal Plan you have must be made in person at the Hospitality & Retail Services Office
- For First Year Students, Student Meal Plan changes can only be made within the Group A Meal Plans
- For Upper Year Students, Student Meal Plan changes can be made within the Group A or Group B Meal Plans
Your Student Meal Plan Funds can only be accessed using your TCard.
- Your Student Meal Plan is non-transferable and may only be used by the person to whom the Meal Plan was sold (i.e. the person whose name and picture are on the TCard)
The Basic Account on your Student Meal Plan can only be accessed if you have a Student Meal Plan Sticker affixed to the back of your TCard for the current school year (2017-18).
- Your Student Meal Plan Sticker identifies to the cashiers that you have a Basic Account - with the Sticker, all of your qualifying Basic purchases will be charged to your Basic Account and will receive the tax exemption
- If you don't have your Student Meal Plan Sticker affixed to your TCard at the time of purchase, your purchase will be charged entirely to your Flex Account (if Flex funds are available) and will not receive tax savings - Hospitality & Retail Services or Chartwells will not reverse these transactions
- If you lose your TCard and get a new one from the TCard Office, PLEASE VISIT HOSPITALITY & RETAIL SERVICES during office hours to update your account with your new card number and receive a new Student Meal Plan Sticker
- You can pick up your Student Meal Plan Sticker from the Hospitality & Retail Services table during First-Year or Upper-Year Move-In Days or from the Hospitality & Retail Services Office during office hours
You can add funds to your Student Meal Plan Basic and Flex Accounts on-line through the Online Meal Plan Management System by using Visa, VisaDebit, or MasterCard or by visiting the Hospitality & Retail Services Office.
You can transfer funds from your Flex Account to your Basic Account by visiting the Hospitality & Retail Services Office. You cannot transfer funds from Basic Dollars to your Flex Account, due to the tax exempt status of your Basic Account.
- All remaining funds in your Flex Account will be carried over to the following academic year
- Only remaining funds in your Basic Account above the Minimum Commitment of $1,950 Basic Dollars are eligible to be carried over
- Maximum Basic Account Carry Over amounts are as follows:
- Small A Plans – $1,425
- Regular A Plans – $1,825
- Regular B Plans – $325
- Small B Plans are not eligible for Basic Dollar Carry Over privileges
- The Carry Over account is called RezCarryover - RezCarryOver funds will be made available to you on your TCard two weeks after the end of the Winter Academic Term and expire at the end of the following Academic Year
- RezCarryOver funds are not tax exempt and cannot be transferred to your Basic Account
- Your RezCarryOver Account can be used at all food outlets, off-campus partners, and vending machines where your Student Meal Plan is accepted
- RezCarryOver funds from the 2017-18 Student Meal Plans expire on April 30, 2019
- Please contact the Hospitality & Retail Services Office for more information on Carry Over privileges
If you cannot find your TCard for any reason, it is strongly recommended that you deactivate your Student Meal Plan immediately to protect the balances on your Student Meal Plan Accounts. Until your Student Meal Plan is deactivated, any purchases will be your responsibility and will not be reversed.
- To deactivate your Student Meal Plan, please sign in to the Online Meal Plan Management System, and select "Deactivate Card" at the bottom of the page under the Card Services heading
- If you find your TCard, your TCard can only be reactivated by visiting the Hospitality & Retail Services Office during operating hours with your TCard
- If you require a new TCard, you will have to purchase a replacement TCard. Replacement TCards are available at the TCard Office - I&ITS Help Desk on the 1st floor of the CCT Building and cost $12.
- Your Student Meal Plan Account will have to be updated by visiting the Hospitality & Retail Services Office during operating hours with your new TCard
Please note: if you lose your TCard outside of operating hours of the Hospitality & Retail Services Office, you can still purchase food using your Student Meal Plan Account from Colman Commons only until the next time when the Hospitality & Retail Service Office is open. Please visit Colman Commons in Oscar Peterson Hall and speak with a Manager or Supervisor to find out how.
You may cancel your Student Meal Plan and request a refund only if you elect to move out of residence or withdraw from the University.
- You must make your refund request on the Hospitality & Retail Services Meal Plan Cancellation Request Form (available at the Hospitality & Retail Services Office), and any refund request needs to be accompanied by proof of withdrawal authorization from Student Housing before a cancellation can be granted
- If a Student Meal Plan refund is granted, it will be subject to a $50 administrative fee and to the application of a pro-rated charge
- The Capital Improvement and Program Enhancement Component (C.I.P.E.) portion of your Meal Plan is not refundable
- Should you be required to withdraw from the University, your Student Meal Plan will be cancelled and you will not be eligible for a refund
- Please contact the Hospitality & Retail Services Office for more information on Student Meal Plan Cancellations and Refunds
Hospitality & Retail Services is bound by the University of Toronto Privacy Policies for collection, sharing, and storage of student information.
When selecting a Meal Plan, students enter into an agreement with Hospitality & Retail Services and the University of Toronto. As a result, Hospitality & Retail Services can only discuss meal plan-specific information, such as meal plan balances and purchase histories, directly with the student. Parents, guardians, and other family members who wish to discuss a student's meal plan in detail must arrange a meeting with Hospitality & Retail Services with the student present, and consent from the student must be provided to Hospitality & Retail Services before specifics of a student's meal plan can be addressed at the meeting.
Hospitality & Retail Services will gladly address general meal plan questions with parents, guardians, and other family members that pertain to any meal plan policies and other information posted on this website. Please contact us if you have any general meal plan inquiries via email or by phone.
PLEASE NOTE: THESE POLICIES ARE REVIEWED ON A REGULAR BASIS AND MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.