October 22, 2008

Minutes of Meeting

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:00AM

Room 2068B, South Building

Present: Sandy Arch, Lisa Cheung, Dave Clancy, Gayle Dykeman, Rob Eidukaitis, Mike Foley, Adrian Georgescu, Paull Goldsmith, Paul Handley, John Janczura, Devin Kreuger, Rubina Lewis, Sameer Masood, Laura MacDonald, Khalique Mohiuddin, Len Paris, Laura Patterson, Jack Pienczykowski, Susan Senese, Mylene Vincent

Regrets: Reese Arh, Bill McFadden, Louise Oliver

Len introduced two new members of the Committee: Mylene Vincent, Departmental Manager in Chemical and Physical Sciences, and Sameer Masood, a graduate student in Chemistry studying issues related to Health and Safety.

1. Approval of Agenda Moved by Laura Patterson, seconded by Rubina Lewis, that the Agenda be approved. CARRIED

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting Moved by Paull Goldsmith, seconded by Devin Kreuger, that the minutes be approved. CARRIED

3. Business Arising from the Minutes

a) Accident Reports There had been one accident reported since the last meeting.

b) Stairs - RAWC The architects have a proposal, which will be submitted to Liz Martin in the AccessAbility Resource Centre for approval as soon as possible.

c) Cell Phone Towers - Update on Testing The testing done on August 27 revealed that the levels are significantly below levels considered hazardous (standards set by the government). The report will be given to the faculty member who was concerned and posted on JHSC bulletin boards. Questions should be directed to Laura MacDonald.

d) Room Capacity in Labs The capacity is not posted for labs and the use changes according to what is happening in the rooms. Consideration is being given to reworking the space by extending the hours during which labs are held. This item should be dropped from the agenda as it is being addressed elsewhere (Principal's Table).

e) Monthly inspections and list update An updated list of inspection teams was distributed.

f) Hot water taps in research labs Faucets in Chemistry have been inspected and repaired; those in Biology still need to be inspected and repaired. Adrian will follow up with Rick Peters.

g) Moving Lab Equipment during cleaning It was clarified that housekeeping is not to move any heavy equipment. Specific incidents need to be reported so they can be addressed. Plans for cleaning where there is lab equipment need to be made and communicated ahead of time so staff in the labs can move the equipment prior to the cleaning.

h) Designated non-smoking entrances - Residence buildings The "move your butt" pamphlet will be updated to include residence buildings, and signs will be obtained and installed in the residence buildings.

4. New Business

a) Smoking Paul Handley and Laura MacDonald outlined a new approach to the smoking policy. Sandy will call the Canadian Cancer Society and Public Health to ask them to come on Weedless Wednesday (January 21, 2009) and Chad Jankowski will work on "leave the pack behind".

b) Tables in the Meeting Place A table in the Meeting Place split at the weld; two students fell. Although they said they were okay, this will be investigated.

c) Online WHMIS training A generic program for the three campuses has been developed by Environmental Health and Safety. Committee members were invited to contact Laura MacDonald for access to the program.

d) Fire Safety Program A separate program for the residence was requested by Gayle Dykeman. Jack will coordinate the program for the residence (e.g., smoke alarms, escape plans, fire extinguishers). Fire Warden training will be held on November 19.

e) CPR/First Aid Certificates Those completing the training on November 8 and 9 should contact Jack to get their certificates. A date for training on the AED (defibrillators) is still to be determined.

f) Fire Extinguishers Fire extinguishers need to be checked for dates. Adrian will follow up with Rick Peters. To obtain a new extinguisher or have an old one recharged, contact 5301.

5. Other Business/Announcements The meeting adjourned at 10:25 a.m.

Next Meeting:

Wednesday December 10, 2008, 9:00AM, Room 2068B, South Building