October 20, 2010

Minutes of Meeting

UTM Joint Health & Safety Committee

Wednesday, October 20, 2010- 9:00AM

Room 3130, William G. Davis Building

Present: Ivan Ampuero, Sandy Arch, Sara Chavez, Dave Clancy, Donna Coulson, Rob Eidukaitis, Adrian Georgescu, Paull Goldsmith, Patrick Gunning, Devin Kreuger, Rubina Lewis, Dale Mullings, Louise Oliver, Len Paris, Wei-Ting Shek, Steve Suraci

Regrets: Susan Allison, Lisa Cheung, Andrea De Vito, Mike Foley, Paul Handley, John Janczura, Khalique Mohiuddin, Laura Patterson, Susan Senese, Anthony Sestito

Introduction and welcome to new members

The Committee welcomed Sara Chavez, who is replacing Reese Arh as the representative from CUPE Local 3902, and Professor Patrick Gunning, a faculty member, who is joining the Committee as a resource person on chemical and laboratory safety.

Lisa Cheung has resigned from the Committee and is seeking someone from Biology to replace her.  The Committee thanked Lisa for all her hard work, particularly for her work on revising the inspection forms and her contributions to the Move Your Butt programs.  She will be missed.

Approval of Agenda

Moved by Devin Kreuger, seconded by Patrick Gunning, that the Agenda be approved.

CARRIED

Minutes of Previous Meeting

Moved by Rubina Lewis, seconded by Paull Goldsmith, that the minutes of the previous meeting be approved.

CARRIED

Business Arising from the Minutes

 a) Accident Reports

There were two staff related accidents/incidents since the last meeting, neither resulting in lost time.  The Committee was reminded that due to the construction on campus, there were several hazards (e.g., uneven surfaces) that could result in slips, trips or falls.  Everyone was reminded to exercise caution when walking in these areas.

b)  Training Courses - Update

Several training courses were offered over the past year to both the Committee and the community.   In addition, there was specific training in areas where incidents had occurred. 

Training on slips, trips and falls can be done online through the portal; Wei also has posters about slips, trips and falls available on request. 

Part 2 certification training will be done again in November on the St. George Campus; it is recommended that staff take these every few years as a refresher. 

Departments with training needs should contact Wei, who will be happy to develop and/or provide training as required. 

Hardeep Mann and Mike Bell of Campus Police are looking at a fall training date for fire  training for Fire Wardens. 

AED defibrillator and first aid training is provided by the Erindale College Special Response Team (ECSpeRT, and also by Athletics.  Departments can also contact St. John's ambulance directly for training.  Wei can also help coordinate first aid training through the Red Cross.  EHS covers the cost of training two people per first aid station, provided they take responsibility for maintaining that station and providing first aid if requested. 

c) Chemical Safety Resource Person (faculty member)

Professor Patrick Gunning is the chemical and laboratory safety resource person and also a member of the committee. 

d) CUPE 3902 Committee Member (new member)

Sara Chavez is the new representative for CUPE Local 3902.

e) Laboratory and Chemical Safety Training Day (December 2010)

A Laboratory Safety Day training session has been schedule for December 13, from 9:30 to 12:30 for all faculty, staff, postdoctoral researchers, graduate and undergraduate  researchers who  does work in laboratories.   Invitations/notices have been widely distributed, including to everyone who works in the labs, and to those who supervise them.

f) South/Davis Building Hallways - Hazards and Fire Safety (Awareness and Poster Campaign)

An awareness campaign will be conducted in the winter to urge people not to use the hallways or areas under stairs for storage.  The cost of the posters will be shared with the Fire Safety Office at St. George.  Members of the committee were asked to encourage members of their departments to ensure that the hallways be kept free and to report hallways where items are stored to the Committee. 

g)  Cleaning of Labs by Caretaking (moving of equipment)

Staff in the labs would like advance notice of cleaning so that cylinders and sensitive equipment can be moved safely or secured for movement before annual or extensive cleaning takes place.  Adrian will have the evening shift supervisor contact Rubina to discuss this issue. 

h)  Presentation to Principal's Table (October 26, 2010)

Len, Rubina and Wei have been invited to speak at Principal's Table about the role, responsibilities and work of the Committee.  The Committee was invited to make suggestions about items they wished included.

New Business

a) New Certified Members of the Committee

Dave Clancy and Adrian Georgescu are now fully certified members of the Committee. Currently, we have 5 management and 3 union members who are certified.            

b) Smoking - Leave the Pack Behind initiative

The Peer Health Educators and the Leave the Pack Behind group would like to participate in the Committee's Move Your Butt campaign.  They will add the logo to their pamphlets and posters and on a monthly basis; volunteers will be posted at designated entrances to hand out pamphlets and buttons to remind people not to smoke at those entrances.  They are working with Paull and Len on this.

They encourage Committee members to join them each month to promote this campaign.

c) Indoor Air Quality - Registrar's Office

An odour was reported at the site of a blocked air vent.  EHS rented a pinhole scope to investigate, and it is believed the issue was resolved. 

d) Other hazard reports/audits

Inspections had been done of several labs to identify common hazards that could be addressed in training.  There will be yearly audits of some labs to ensure that safe practices are followed and that concerns are addressed promptly.  It was confirmed that EHS performs annual inspections of the fume hoods for annual recertification.  Wei will review the list with Paull to ensure that it is complete and includes any recent additions.

Other Business/Announcements

a) Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) locations for multiple storage areas

The Committee was asked whether the MSDS for chemicals in storage rooms needed to be stored in each of the storage areas (when there are several in a building).  It was clarified that as long as everyone using the chemicals knows where to locate the MSDS, they can be stored in a central location. 

b) Inspection forms for workshops/electrical rooms/storage areas

The inspection forms currently in use are not well suited to workshops/electrical rooms/storage areas.  Wei has a template for industrial and maintenance areas and will send these to anyone who would like them.

c)  Checking of AED Defibrillators

ECSpeRT checks the defibrillators monthly.  Len will send a list of all locations and have ECSpeRT confirm that these are done monthly.  It was suggested that at a minimum, the pads be replaced annually and that this be coordinated for all of UTM.

The meeting adjourned at 10:30 a.m.

Next Meeting:

Wednesday December 15, 2010, 9:00AM, Room 2068B,                                         Fireplace Lounge, William G. Davis (South) Building

________________________________                          _____________________________________

Rubina Lewis, Co-chair                                                 Len Paris, Co-chair