May 21, 2008

Minutes of Meeting

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:00AM

Room 2068B, South Building

Present: Sandy Arch, Reese Arh, Lisa Cheung, Ray deSouza, Paull Goldsmith, John Janczura, Rubina Lewis, Louise Oliver, Len Paris, Laura Patterson, Jack Pienczykowski

Regrets: Dave Clancy, Gayle Dykeman, Rob Eidukaitis, Mike Foley, Adrian Georgescu, Paul Handley, Laura MacDonald, Bill McFadden, Liz Martin, Khalique Mohiuddin, Susan Senese

1. Approval of Agenda Moved by John Janczura, seconded by Laura Patterson, that the Agenda be approved. CARRIED

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting Moved by Paull Goldsmith, seconded by John Janczura, that the minutes be approved. CARRIED

3. Business Arising from the Minutes

a) Accident Reports Only two accident reports had been filed since the last meeting, one a fall, the other a WSIB accident.

b) Stairs - RAWC This item was deferred as Dave Clancy was not present.

c) Laboratory Safety Day - Update on April training There was concern about the lack of advance notice. People need to get much more notice to be able to ensure they can attend.

Ray mentioned that UTM staff are generally dissatisfied with training, in part because it is generally offered only on the St. George campus. Attempts have been made have training at UTM, but not enough staff participate. Options to address this problem include: establishing a training centre in the west end of the city for all of U of T staff; and scheduling mandatory courses a year in advance-staff can choose from one date or another but must attend one.

There was discussion about the legal requirements under WHMIS for lab safety training. It was suggested that a list of required training could be prepared for the Dean, who could then contact Chairs and Principal Investigators to ensure the training is completed.

Louise will check to see if WHMIS training is mandatory prior to someone's starting to work in a lab, and whether there are requirements for annual refresher courses. She will also see if online training is available for some of this training, and will ask Laura what EHS has done to ensure compliance with the requirements.

d) Cell Phone Towers - Update on Testing

Radiation Safety will do some testing. Len will follow up with Laura.

4. New Business

a) Campus Clean-up

Ray commented that he had seen a lot of junk around the campus (boxes, old signs, lumber, etc.). As storing these items is very expensive, he suggested all of us clean out things we don't need. It was suggested that document storage can be found off-site, and if something is not used for three years, consideration should be given to shredding it. He asked the Committee to try to clean things up before September. He also offered to provide assistance with the removal of discarded items.

Paull would like to have another Chemical Clean-up Day this year. It was decided that April is generally the best time of year. Paull and Rubina will work on coordinating this. The furniture in the old library will be cleared out. There was talk of having a one-day swap shop for usable items. Paull said he'd be happy to organize this if people would pick a date. Aubrey has had two electronic clean-up days already for used computer equipment.

b) Room Capacity in Labs

Sandy had received an email regarding an alleged violation of room capacity in the labs. It was suggested this be sent to Rubina and Ray so they could investigate and respond. 5. Other Business/Announcements Ray met with Angela Hildyard and Christina Sass-Kortsak on May 20 regarding the Health and Safety position at UTM. It was noted that a senior person is required; they are investigating various options. The meeting adjourned at 10:15 a.m.

Next Meeting:

Wednesday August 20, 2008, 9:00AM, Room 2068B, South Building