May 19,2010

Minutes of Meeting

UTM Joint Health & Safety Committee

Wednesday, May 19, 2010- 9:00AM

Room 2068B, South Building
 

Present:Susan Allison, Ivan Ampuero, Sandy Arch, Lisa Cheung, Dave Clancy, Andrea De Vito, Rob Eidukaitis, Adrian Georgescu, Paull Goldsmith, Paul Handley, Rubina Lewis, Dale Mullings, Louise Oliver, Len Paris, Wei-Ting Shek

Regrets: Reese Arh, Gayle Dykeman, Mike Foley, John Janczura, Devin Kreuger, Khalique Mohiuddin, Laura Patterson, Susan Senese, Steve Suraci, Mylene Vincent

Len welcomed Dale Mullings, from Student Housing and Residence Life, who has joined the Committee.  Gayle Dykeman is retiring and will no longer be on the Committee.

Approval of Agenda

Moved by Paull Goldsmith and seconded by Rob Eidukaitis, that the Agenda be approved.

CARRIED

Minutes of Previous Meeting

Moved by Sandy Arch, seconded by Paull Goldsmith, that the minutes of the previous meeting be approved.

CARRIED

Business Arising from the Minutes

a) Accident Reports

There had been six staff related accidents/incidents since the last meeting, including one critical injury (fractured elbow). Len reminded the Committee of the employee's obligation to notify the supervisor when they are injured at work.  There is now a web-based form for reporting accidents.  Wei-Ting encouraged everyone to try it.  For now, the paper forms are still being used.  The online tool will ensure that the form is sent to everyone who should be notified of an incident.  

b) Bill 168 - Workplace Violence and Harassment (update)

Len is part of the tri-campus committee formed by the  Vice-President Human Resources and Equity to develop new University policies on workplace violence and workplace harassment, and a program for staff and supervisors outlining how to handle violence in the workplace.  It is expected all these items will be completed by June 15, when the legislation comes into effect, and Len will send these to the Committee once they are complete. 

The Ministry of Labour website also has an 80-page toolbox which covers the new legislation, general information of workplace violence and harassment and how to do risk assessments.  Len will send the link to the Committee.

The role of the Committee is still not clear; it may be that risk assessments (e.g., lighting levels, sightlines, communications, office layout, etc) will need to be added to the workplace inspection checklist.  Len will send information out as it becomes available.

c) Defibrillators (AED) in buildings

Four additional defibrillators were donated, and have recently been added in the HMALC, the Kaneff Centre, and Roy Ivor Hall.  Attempts are being made to get one for the CCT (they would like to have staff trained on their use before installing a unit).  Since there are already units in the North and South Buildings, Student Centre and Oscar Peterson Hall, once Erindale Hall and CCT have AEDs installed, there will be units in every large building. 

The Ontario government may be enacting legislation in the future to make it mandatory to have AED units in every workplace in Ontario.

New Business

Workplace Accidents and Injury (Patient Care)

Recently, a staff member had been injured, and several untrained (in first aid) staff members wanted to help.  The Committee was asked whether there were guidelines for how to respond in these situations.  The Committee suggested firm action by the trained first responder (first person responds, second person assists, others provide space).  No injured person should be moved or permitted to move until they have been assessed by a trained first responder or EMS.  Wei-Ting offered to draft an information sheet to help with this, including what to do when the injured person wants to get up and should not.

Chemical Safety Day - May 21, 2010

Paull reminded the Committee that Friday was the day to bring any chemicals, even those without labels, to the loading dock for safe disposal. 

Membership Change

Dale Mullings, Student Housing and Residence Life, is a new member of the Committee; Gayle Dykeman is retiring.

Donna Coulson has replaced Mylene Vincent during her maternity leave, but could not attend this meeting.

It was suggested that CUPE Local 3902 be contacted for the name of a member to replace Reese Ahr.

Other Business/Announcements

  • a)Wei-Ting is offering the JHSC accident investigation and the JHSC inspection courses again in the near future.  There is also a two-hour orientation session for new members of the Committee.

  • b) The Chief Administrative Officer has asked for a fall presentation to the senior officers (Principal's Table) of the campus on the new legislation, initiatives of the Joint Health and Safety Committee, how to handle critical injuries, etc. Len suggested that over the summer, the Committee should determine who should do the presentation and what it should cover.

  • c) The Committee was asked how first aid training is now being done on campus - there is a need to train lab techs. The Student First Aid Brigade does some training, as does St. John's Ambulance. The RAWC has its own staff instructors. Campus Police use the St John's Ambulance instructors who are part of the student brigade.

  • d) Len suggested there may be a meeting before August if needed.

  • e) The Chemical Safety Database is coming soon to UTM.

The meeting adjourned at 10:00 a.m.

Next Meeting:       Wednesday August 25, 2010, 9:00AM, Room 2068B, Fireplace Lounge, South Building

________________________________                                _____________________________________

Rubina Lewis, Co-chair                                                           Len Paris, Co-chair