May 16, 2007

Minutes of Meeting:

Wednesday May 16, 2007-9:00AM

Room 2068B, South Building

Present: Lisa Cheung, Dave Clancy, Gayle Dykeman, Rob Eidukaitis, Adrian Georgescu, Paull Goldsmith, Liz Martin, Bill McFadden, Steve Miszuk, Louise Oliver, Len Paris, Laura Patterson, Jack Pienczykowski, Rachel Tennant, April Wong, Fred Wright

Regrets: Evan Apsit, Sandy Arch, Ray deSouza, Patrick Doyle, Margaret Fung, John Janczura, Rubina Lewis, Susan Senese


1. Approval of Agenda

Moved by Fred Wright, seconded by Adrian Georgescu, that the Agenda be approved.

CARRIED

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting

Moved by Paull Goldsmith, seconded by Steve Miszuk, that the minutes be approved.

CARRIED


3. Business Arising From Previous Minutes

a) Accident Reports

There had been no staff or faculty lost-time incidents, or workplace accidents in the past two months. There were 13 sports-related injuries, one of a staff member, the rest of students or visitors. There were 4 non-sports related injuries, three involving students, one of a visitor. There was one incident highlighting a safety concern regarding the pool gallery. Len and Dave Clancy investigated the incident, and have identified a temporary solution until the permanent solution is in place.


b) Terms of reference (membership)

The terms of reference specify that there "shall be four USW" members; we have eight. The Committee was asked to consider amending the terms of reference, e.g., to "shall be at least" and keeping the membership at eight. The same consideration could be given to other unions as well (e.g., at least one from CUPE 3261). There is benefit to having a large committee share the work of inspections. It was suggested that CUPE 3261 should have one member from the Residence area, and that we should try to get committee members from Kaneff and CCT. Len reminded the Committee that anyone in a Union who is joining the Committee must be endorsed by their Union. Jack will see if there is anyone at CCT who could serve on the Committee. Fred indicated that CUPE 3261 had a meeting coming up on May 31st, and that they would forward names of members who could replace him on the Committee.

It may be appropriate to review the terms of reference once the new H&S Manager starts.


c) JH&SC Certified Members & Training (course updates)

Lisa has now completed Part 1. Part 2 has not yet been scheduled. If there is sufficient interest in certain modules, it may be possible to schedule some of the Part 2 training at UTM. Committee members requiring part 2 certification were asked to review the list of part 2 courses, identify the courses they needed, and contact Sandra Deike directly. The Fire Safety course may be identical to Jack's Fire Warden course; Jack will prepare the package of his materials and send it in to see if it can be considered equivalent.

Len has just sent out the dates for other courses, on laser safety and x-ray, in May, June and July. Tim Westwood has organized an all-day biosafety training course, to be held later in May.


d) WHMIS Training Update

The Engineers and Grounds staff had completed their training in the two weeks prior to the meeting. Dave and Rachel have completed the train the trainer sessions. Lisa provided training to 45 people, including faculty and post-doctoral fellows, the previous week. There would be a course for the 30+ M.Biotech students the following week. Lisa will check with EHS about a certificate of completion for the training.


e) Decommissioning labs - Documentation and checklists (new H&S Manager)

Paull and Len were on the interview committee for the new manager, and reported that questions had been asked about decommissioning labs, checklists and sign-offs. It is expected that the new manager will develop the procedures, using the Committee as a resource. It is hoped that the procedures can be put in place over the summer.


f) Manager, Health and Safety (update)

Len distributed a list of duties from the new job description. The search has been completed, and it is expected the person will be in place by the next committee meeting. Peter Nicoll has indicated that it may be possible for UTM to have the person for more than 2 days per week, if necessary. It is expected that for the first several months, the person will be relying on the Committee to share information about the campus, concerns, etc. There are many issues to be addressed (e.g., there has been another fire at the HMALC due to smoking). There will be a budget for the manager and for the Committee, so committee costs should no longer fall to departments.


g) Clean-up, handling and disposal of blood

Adrian advised that on Thursday, Medical Waste Management delivered bags and placed a tote in receiving. Six bags each went to the RAWC and the Health Service. Anything used to clean up blood should go into the bags, and Campus Infrastructure and Facilities should be called to pick up the bags when they're full.

Lisa advised that when cleaning a lab (Room 3025), she found a biohazard bag full of syringes, some that were sticking out, and that these may be from 1999-2000. Oily rags had been added to the bag. Adrian will get a hard case container for these items.

Len said he was not sure if Sandy had sent the guidelines from Wilfrid Laurier University to Ayoob. Jack said that a video on handling blood-borne pathogens is available in the Campus Police Office.

h) Asbestos training

Steve will follow up with Sandra to see when we can get this training.

4. New Business

a) Stair-related hazards

Liz had received several complaints advising that the contrasting nosings were fading on the stairs in the South Building and Student Centre, and people were falling. This is a safety hazard for people with low vision. Steve will look into this, and identify those that are more serious, as there may be a better way to address this (e.g., a permanent luminous strip rather than paint).

Len advised that the "seating stairs" in the RAWC should have a barrier so people won't mistake them for the stairs; this is already in the works.


b) Hands-free phones in elevators

The hands-free emergency phones have still not been installed in the North and South building elevators, and the need to open a door to use the phone is a problem. Paull will check to see where this work has stopped.


c) Safety policies in Braille

Liz asked that when departments print policies regarding safety that will be handed out, they ensure that they have one or two prepared in Braille.


d) Fred Wright's retirement

Len advised the Committee that Fred Wright would be retiring on May 25. Fred has been an invaluable member of the Committee. The Committee presented Fred with several gifts and a card, and wished him well in his retirement.

The meeting adjourned at 10:00 a.m.

Next Meeting:

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 @ 9AM, Room 3138, South Building.