March 19, 2008

Minutes of Meeting

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:00AM

Room 2068B, South Building

Present: Sandy Arch, Reese Arh, Dave Clancy, Rob Eidukaitis, Mike Foley, Adrian Georgescu, Paull Goldsmith, John Janczura, Laura MacDonald, Bill McFadden, Khalique Mohiuddin, Louise Oliver, Len Paris, Jack Pienczykowski

Regrets: Lisa Cheung, Ray deSouza, Gayle Dykeman, Paul Handley, Rubina Lewis, Liz Martin, Laura Patterson, Susan Senese

Len welcomed the new member of the Committee, Reese Arh, who replaces April Wong as the representative of CUPE Local 3902 (covering Teaching Assistants).

1. Approval of Agenda Moved by Paull Goldsmith, seconded by Rob Eidukaitis, that the Agenda be approved. CARRIED

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting Moved by Paull Goldsmith, seconded by Bill McFadden, that the minutes be approved. CARRIED

3. Business Arising from the Minutes

a) Accident Reports Most of the accidents involved slips and falls, both inside and outside, due to the wet weather conditions. Several of these were staff who sustained minor injuries while working. Most other incidents involved strains or sprains.

b) Stairs - RAWC Ken Duncliffe, Liz Martin and Dave Clancy met with the architect, who was instructed to find a solution to the problem. Dave will follow up.

c) Committee bulletin boards and keys Currently, there are bulletin boards in the South Building at the Meeting Place (Adrian will update) and the Research Wing (Room 2014) (Reese will update); North Building (main corridor, first floor, Louise will update); and the Kaneff Centre. We need one in the HMALC (Paul Handley will update); the RAWC (there is one in the staff room, Dave Clancy will update); the CCT Building (4th floor suggested). We still need members from the Kaneff Centre and CCT buildings. Adrian will ensure the person updating each board has a key for the lock to that board.

d) New Director, Environmental Health & Safety Susan Fern-MacDougall is the new Director of Environmental Health and Safety. Laura MacDonald is in the new position of Associate Director. Discussions are still underway about the best way to provide advice and leadership to UTSC and UTM.

e) Campus Telephone Directory Len and Paull will meet with Ray to share the concerns of the Committee about the delays in having an updated phone directory. They will report back at the next meeting.

f) Laboratory Safety Day A one-day training session was held in December. More staff wanted to attend but needed more notice to be able to participate. A second day had been tentatively scheduled pending receipt of sufficient interest. It was not possible to confirm that date, and we are now looking at April. The plan is to have the top three lab safety topics and combine those with issues of interest to non-laboratory staff as well (e.g., personal safety). Louise and Laura will come up with a date for April or May.

4. New Business

a) Cell Phone Towers - is there a health hazard? This issue was raised by a faculty member, with respect to the towers that have been here since 1984. Laura will ask Sandu Sonoc, head of Radiation Protection Committee/Services, to comment on the issue.

b) Air Quality and Testing Procedures There had been a complaint from the Registrar's Office about air quality due to dust in the air ducts. Paull wanted us to know that the duct cleaning will be done once all the construction has been completed. He also wanted to clarify what types of tests can be done (e.g., temperature, humidity, carbon monoxide, air changes, air filter changes).

c) Laser Safety Refresher Len distributed a memo dated February 15, 2008, regarding new laser-safety refersher training required for all those operating or working in proximity to Class 3B or Class 4 laser/laser systems. EHS has started introducing web-based e-learning to make the courses more accessible. Laura asked for the Committee's help in ensuring that everyone who should have received the memo gets a copy. The meeting adjourned at 10:00 a.m.

Next Meeting:

Wednesday May 21, 2008, 9:00AM, - Room- South Building - SB3138