June 15, 2011

 

Minutes of Meeting

UTM Joint Health & Safety Committee

 

Wednesday, June 15, 2011- 9:00 a.m.

Room 3130 (Council Chambers), William G. Davis Building

 

 

Present:           Sandy Arch, Dave Clancy, Andrea De Vito, Adrian Georgescu, Paul Handley, Kristen Harshman-Best, John Janczura, Devin Kreuger, Rubina Lewis, Holly Marsh, Louise Oliver, Len Paris, Anthony Sestito, Wei-Ting Shek, Steve Suraci, Mylene Vincent

 

Regrets:           Ivan Ampuero, Susan Allison, Tamara Breukelman, Sara Chavez, Rob Eidukaitis, Mike Foley, Paull Goldsmith, Patrick Gunning, Khalique Mohiuddin, Dale Mullings, Laura Patterson, Susan Senese

 

 

The Committee welcomed Kristen Harshman-Best (USW) from the Mississauga Academy of Medicine.  It was also noted that we have a new member representing CUPE Local 3902, Terry Bottrill, from the Department of Chemical and Physical Sciences, who will replace Sara Chavez.

 

Beth Spilchuk (USW) from Student Housing will replace Dale Mullings on the JHSC.

                         

Approval of Agenda

 

Moved by Rubina Lewis that the agenda be approved.                                                                                                                                                   

 

Minutes of Previous Meeting

 

Moved by Devin Kreuger, that the minutes of the previous meeting be approved.                                                                                                          

 

Business Arising from the Minutes

 

              a)       Accident Reports

 

There had been six incidents since the last meeting, four health care and two lost time incidents.  One incident had occurred in another city, but was work-related as the person was on University business at the time. 

 

 

b)      Training Courses – Updates

 

 

Four training sessions had been provided to staff in Grounds and Residence (WHMIS, Materials Handling, Understanding Noise, Working in Hot Environments).   Summer students working in the labs had completed WHMIS training.  Staff in the Early Learning Centre will do their WHMIS training online.  Members were reminded that courses for certification were being held soon.  As the Committee currently has eight certified members, there is no urgent need for anyone else to be trained, but if people are interested, they may complete the training.

 

               c)      Chemical Waste Disposal Day (May 27) - Update

 

          This had been a success and Adrian was asked if he could determine the volume of waste removed.  The Committee will set a date for a fall disposal day at the August meeting. 

 

                        d)       Laboratory Safety Program & Working Group for Lab Safety Manual

                       

                        A committee comprised of representatives from each department with a wet lab met in May and provided feedback on a draft safety manual in June.  The manual will be part of a training program to be rolled out in the fall.

 

e)        Laboratory Safety Posters

 

                        Posters were available for review at the meeting, and copies will be available to                                     Committee members upon request in August.  It is hoped that the posters will be widely                           displayed in or near all labs and washrooms in the Science wing, to ensure as many                                     people as possible see them.

 

 

New Business

 

a)              Transporting Liquid Nitrogen in passenger elevators

 

                        The regulations clearly indicate that no one should be in an elevator when liquid nitrogen is being transported.  However, here are several logistical challenges (e.g., locking out elevator and posting signs on all floors, service elevator only goes to third floor).  Adrian will find out how often the tanks are filled, and Wei will explore possible solutions and provide an update at the next meeting.

 

b)             Mould Assessment and Ergonomics Reports (for information)

 

A mould assessment was conducted in DV 3210, following a roof  leak.  Roof repair work will be done during July and August, and another assessment will be done once the work is finished.

 

Wei reported on an ergonomic assessment that had been done in a case where an employee had had pain for 1.5 years.  The Committee discussed the resources available for such assessments and the need to be proactive rather than reactive in addressing concerns.  Wei will draft something for Erincomm advising staff what they can do if they  are concerned about the ergonomic aspects of their work areas and equipment.

 

 

 

Other Business/Announcements

 

a)         There was discussion about the central fund in Health and Well-being for accommodation            and which items should be funded at the department level and which might be eligible for       central funding.

 

b)         Len advised that he has a subscription to a newsletter, Safe Supervisor and invited             members to contact him if they’d like to review it.

 

c)         Members were reminded that they are responsible for putting up the minutes of meetings          on the Health and Safety bulletin boards in their area.

 

 

The meeting adjourned at 10:00 a.m.

 

Next Meeting:        Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 9:00 a.m.  

                          Room 3130, William G. Davis Building (Council                            Chambers)

                          

 

 

 

________________________________                          _____________________________________

Rubina Lewis, Co-Chair                                                            Len Paris, Co-Chair