January 23, 2008

Minutes of Meeting

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:00AM

Room 2068B, South Building

Present: Sandy Arch, Lisa Cheung, Dave Clancy, Ray deSouza, Rob Eidukaitis, Mike Foley, Adrian Georgescu, Paull Goldsmith, Paul Handley, Rubina Lewis, Liz Martin, Bill McFadden, Khalique Mohiuddin, Louise Oliver, Len Paris, Laura Patterson, Susan Senese, April Wong

Regrets: Gayle Dykeman, John Janczura, Laura MacDonald, Jack Pienczykowski

Len welcomed the new members of the Committee, Bill McFadden and Khalique Mohiuddin. Bill will represent the "Retail Operations" on campus with an emphasis on food safety. Khalique is a member of the Canadian Auto Workers Union (Building Engineers), and replaces Patrick Doyle.

1. Approval of Agenda Moved by Rubina Lewis, seconded by Laura Patterson, that the Agenda be approved. CARRIED

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting Moved by Paull Goldsmith, seconded by Sandy Arch, that the minutes be approved. CARRIED

3. Business Arising from the Minutes

a) Accident Reports There was only one accident report involving a staff member, a minor injury due to lifting. Steps are being taken to minimize similar occurrences in future. There had been very few accidents involving students, perhaps because of the holidays.

b) Stairs - RAWC Dave Clancy believes that the building was constructed in compliance with the Canadian code; there is a tactile strip before the step, and a handrail. Liz said we were supposed to follow the Mississauga Accessibility guidelines and that the architect had promised that the floors could be made safe. This is an issue for seniors and others with low vision. AccessAbility had no sign-off for any of the plans. Bob Topping did an audit. Dave, Ken Duncliffe and Liz will meet to try to come up with a resolution.

c) Committee bulletin boards and keys Adrian will send the locations of the boards to Sandy and Len, who will assign responsibility for each board to a member of the Committee.

d) Move Your Butt campaign and National Non-smoking Week The Canadian Cancer Society and the Region of Peel Health were on campus Monday (January 21) and Tuesday (January 22), respectively, from 11:30 to 2:00, at a table in the CCT building, at the top of the stairs from the Atrium, in the corridor leading from CCT to the Library. Both organizations were very impressed with the turnout. For Weedless Wednesday (January 23), we had mugs from the Library, with inserts for Move Your Butt. The goal for that day (the day of the meeting) was to have members of the Joint Health and Safety Committee either staff the table at CCT or visit designated entrances and ask people to "move their butts". Posters, pamphlets, and buttons were available, as well as T-shirts for volunteers. A member of staff from the residences had expressed interest in having a similar campaign for that area. Currently, the residence buildings are not listed on the poster.

Len had given Ian Orchard all the materials and a copy of the Committee's letter to Angela Hildyard, in response to a request for an update on the designated no smoking entrances and a recommendation to revise the U of T Workplace Smoking Policy.

e) Plans for Medical Academy and Storm Water Pond Ray and Paull shared photographs and drawings for the proposed storm water ponds and the new Medical Academy. The ponds are one piece of the storm water management system, and must be in place before any new building can take place on campus. Its purpose is to manage the collection of rain water, particularly after heavy rainfalls, to allow for sedimentation and to filter out oil, tire debris and other pollutants before the water flows into the Credit River. Construction will start in April and is expected to be completed by September. There will be road closures, and updates will be provided as soon as practicable. The ponds will be a managed wetland, with pathways around it, places to look over the river, benches and picnic spots. The city will make it part of the trails, and it is hoped that colonies of birds will become established there.

The Medical Academy will be located at the corner of the SouthBuilding and the CCT buildings. The building will anchor the Health Sciences Complex. Two-thirds of the building will be used by the Medical Academy, with the remaining one-third being used by various UTM departments (Dean of Research, Chemistry, Biology, Forensic lab, Anthropology and Cultural Anthropology, a videoconferencing support facility, and computing services). For the research areas, there will be space for laboratories, and graduate students and faculty. There will be a café, a 600-seat auditorium. There will likely be a town hall meeting with the architect, LR Kongats, in March.

Plans include provision of a drop-off area for buses from the hospitals, and an appropriate entrance to the new building. Plans are also underway to improve access to and egress from the CCT garage, based on our experience over the past few years.

Ray would like feedback from the members of the Committee in their JHSC role and their role as community members.

f) Search for Director, Environmental Health & Safety Ray advised that a new Director had just been appointed. Laura MacDonald will be an Associate Director. It is hoped that the Associate Director position will have responsibility for the tri-campus relationship.

4. New Business

a) Printing of Campus Telephone Directory Concern was expressed over the decision to discontinue publishing a paper copy of the campus telephone directory, since it is not always be possible to access the directory online. It was noted that we would be able to download the directory, and to print if it we wished. There was greater concern with the emergency procedures section of the directory. Three committees are currently looking at emergency procedures for the University: one, for a crisis plan (PVP, electronic only); one, an emergency response plan; and the other, emergency procedures. It was suggested that we can produce print and electronic versions of the emergency procedures for UTM, once these have been finalized. If the Committee recommends continuing to print the emergency procedures in booklet form, Ray is happy to recommend that to Angela Hildyard.

Ray suggested we think about what type of list of emergency numbers we would need in each of our departments (work and home telephone numbers) in case staff/faculty had to be contacted in an emergency.

The meeting adjourned at 10:10 a.m.

Next Meeting:

Wednesday March 19, 2008, 9:00AM, Room 2068B, South Building