January 17, 2007

Minutes of Meeting:

Wednesday January 17, 2007-9:00AM

Room 2068B, South Building


Present: Lisa Cheung, Dave Clancy, Rob Eidukaitis, Margaret Fung, Adrian Georgescu, John Janczura, Len Paris, Laura Patterson, Susan Senese, April Wong, Fred Wright, Terry Orsatti (Alternate), Rachel Tennant

Regrets: Evan Apsit, Rubina Lewis, Liz Martin, Sandy Arch, Paull Goldsmith, Louise Oliver, Jack Pienczykowski, Ray deSousa, Gayle Dykeman, Patrick Doyle


1. Approval of Agenda

Moved by Fred Wright, seconded by Lisa Cheung that the Agenda be approved.
CARRIED

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes were approved as distributed.


3. Introduction of new Member

Rachel Tennant from Athletics has joined the Committee, pending approval from Steel. The Committee welcomed Rachel as a Committee member.


4. Business Arising From Previous Minutes

a) Accident Reporting

Len Paris summarized the incident reports for the period. Len indicated that there were 2 staff incidents (1 trip and fall and the other was a finger injury) Both incidents were followed up and corrective action taken.

The majority of the other incidents were sports related injuries involving students.

Len Paris reiterated the need for Supervisors to file the necessary reports in a timely manner and to forward the reports to Human Resources.

 
b) Work Place Inspections

Len Paris stated that several members have submitted completed inspection forms. He presented a summary of the schedules for the next few months.


There was some discussion that a couple of members did not receive the new inspection forms revised by Lisa Cheung. Len Paris will redistribute the e-mail attachment.

c) W.H.M.I.S

Some W.H.M.I.S training has been completed. However, training for the Caretaking and Grounds group needs to be done. Dave Clancy from Athletics stated he has about 30 students that need to be trained. Margaret Fung suggested that we train these groups separately for their specific needs.

Len Paris suggested that we set the training deadline to the end of February.


d) JHSC Bulletin Board

Library Bulletin board still needs to be installed. There was discussion that a locking board would be required if it is located in a public area. A regular board would suffice if it were located in the locked staff lounge. Fred Wright will order the board, once the requirements have been determined.


e) Flu Clinic

Len Paris informed the Committee that Peel health officials stated that the number of attendees were down significantly from previous years. We could not determine with certainty why this was so. Peel stated that attendee participation needs to increase for the clinic to be viable, due to the costs involved.


f) Mould Awareness Training (Residence)

Fred Wright stated that the training was completed. Residence staff attended, as did representatives form the Engineering, Grounds and Building Services Groups.

g) Health and Safety Certification Courses

Margaret Fung summarized Committee members' level of training and the future requirements for full certification. The requirement is level 1 generic and level 2 hazard specific.


h) Lifting Device Training

Adrian Georgescu informed the committee that the first phase of training is completed and that he will schedule another session in March. Currently 6 individuals are certified to use lifting devices.


i) Slip and Fall Prevention

There was some round table discussion in regards to an awareness campaign about the hazards and liability of slips and falls during the winter months. Susan Senese presented the committee with some viable ideas to think about.


j) Health and Safety Officer

Margaret Fung stated that a posting was initiated for a health and safety officer. The Officer will be shared 60/40 with St George and UTM. Len Paris suggested that a UTM committee member be involved in hiring process. Margaret stated that perhaps Ray deSousa would be involved.


5. New Business

a) Lab Decommissioning Documentation

Fred Wright stated that proper documentation should be submitted and posted when a lab has been decommissioned.

b) Radiation Awareness Training

Adrian Georgescu informed the Committee that there will be a training session conducted by Sandu Sonoc from EHS on January 22, 2007 at 2 PM in the Faculty Lounge. Adrian Georgescu stated that there were spaces available. Len Paris stated he would like to send 2 of his Officers and Terry Orsatti suggested that some Engineers would be interested as well.

c) Facility Hazards


Fred Wright stated that an external railing end(s) outside the Wellness Facility (near the Shipping and Receiving driveway) could be a possible injury hazard, should someone fall and hit this section of the railing. Dave Clancy will add this to the punch list and submit to Capital Projects for analysis.

The meeting adjourned at 10:00 a.m.

Next Meeting:

Wednesday March 21, 2007 @ 9AM, Room # 2068B, South Building.