February 16, 2005

Minutes of Meeting:
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 9:00 a.m.
Room NB159


Present: Sol Kessler, Sandy Arch, Len Paris, Liz Martin, Margaret Fung, Paull Goldsmith, Fred Wright, Louise Oliver,
Alison Campbell, Rubina Lewis, Lisa Cheung, Tarun Patel
Regrets: Paul Handley, Jack Pienczykowski, John Janczura

1. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

Agenda was approved.
Minutes of the last meeting were approved.

2. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES                                                                                

a) Accident Reports

Sol reported that Facility Resources incurred a few “lifting” type injuries which incurred loss time; others were recreational athletic type.  A discussion arose as to the heavy amount of modular furniture moves incurred by Custodians…final resolution…contractors will be sought to do such activities.  It was also discussed that all contractors must wear proper safety clothing no matter how small or large the job entails (Leo and Paull to follow up).

b) Inspection Report  

Sol indicated that a few more inspections were conducted and asked again that they all be done by end of August (Sol to follow up).


c) Fire Warden Radios

Paull and Len reported that all available radios will be distributed by next meeting.  It was also discussed and approved to install another JH&S bulletin board on the fourth floor of the CCIT building (Fred to follow-up).


d) WHMIS On-Line

Computer Services have requested that this issue be put on hold for the time being as they are over-burdened with critical workloads for the next several months.  (Sol to follow-up in the near future).


e) Certified Members

Paull has been fully certified (congratulations); Paul and Rubina will continue to try attend these courses. 


f) Wet Ceiling Tiles

Wet (and mouldy) ceiling tiles were reported to be just outside room SB4074; Piping repairs are complete and we are seeking to schedule a contractor to fix this ceiling along with two other locations.  All repairs were completed (Drop)


g) Terms of Reference

Sol thanked Sandy, Marg and Louise for helping with the initiating, editing and finalizing of these terms.    (Sol/Louise to follow up).  


h) Flammable Storage Cabinet

Flammable cabinets which have venting capabilities are all working fine; however, some cabinets in various labs do not have this ability, yet chemicals continue to be stored in these areas.  This issue compliments the air quality situation and will be reviewed with Sandy Cruden. Paull and Sol met with Sandy Cruden to discuss this issue – it was agreed that technicians would stop storing chemicals in not vented cabinets for now.  Paull conducted a full survey of all cabinets requiring ventilation – cost submitted, awaiting approval to proceed.  Funding was approved and work is in progress – to be completed by March (Paull to follow-up).


i) JH&S Bulletin Board

It was agreed that another board be installed in the CCIT Building…board on order, (Fred to follow up).

 

j) Annual Union/Management Joint Meeting

Sandy, Len and Marg attended and all reported that it was an excellent meeting (highly recommended for everyone to attend next year).  Good discussions and excellent resources on topics of stress, asbestos and C45.  It was suggested that a general do diligence meeting be administered with respect to Bill C45. Sol discussed this issue with our new CAO who said that he would support such a meeting and will discuss setting this up with the help from HR.

3. NEW BUSINESS

a) Len remarked that the reconstructed portion of the inner circle roadway (front of the South Building) has made a significant improvement for traffic flow and safety. 

b) CCIT Building continues to be under construction – material in corridors, wobbly stairs, slippery floors, automatic door openers not working, etc.  Sol to follow-up to ensure safety precautions are adhered to.

c) Marg initiated a discussion about asbestos and the training required by the engineers.  Paull remarked that we now have a unionized representative on board (Tarun) and that he and Paull are working on the implementation of the training. 

d) Sol stated that plans are on the way to construct an outside smoking area on the upper patio of the South Building…Sol to follow up.

e) Sol stated that plans are being produced to install lighted crosswalks and signage throughout the campus.  This is a result of all the construction on campus.  In addition, the City of Mississauga will be reconstructing Mississauga Road between June 15th and September 1st which will obviously affect traffic flow to and from our campus.  Sol also mentioned that a new campus entrance will also be constructed at The Collegeway and Mississauga Road intersection…it will be known as Alumni Gates.

4. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting adjourned at 10:30 a.m. 

The next meeting is scheduled for April 20, 2005 at 9:00 am in room NB159.