August 20, 2008

Minutes of Meeting

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:00AM

Room 2068B, South Building

Present: Dave Clancy, Gayle Dykeman, Rob Eidukaitis, Mike Foley, Paul Handley, Devin Kreuger, Rubina Lewis, Laura MacDonald, Khalique Mohiuddin, Louise Oliver, Len Paris, Laura Patterson, Jack Pienczykowski, Susan Senese

Regrets: Sandy Arch, Reese Arh, Lisa Cheung, Ray deSouza, Paull Goldsmith, John Janczura, Adrian Georgescu, Bill McFadden

Len advised the committee that Liz Martin has resigned from the Committee. He may ask her to appoint someone else from her office.

1. Approval of Agenda Moved by Rubina Lewis, seconded by Rob Eidukaitis, that the Agenda be approved. CARRIED

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting Moved by Dave Clancy, seconded by Jack Pienczykowski, that the minutes be approved. CARRIED

3. Business Arising from the Minutes

a) Accident Reports There had been three staff accidents since the last meeting, at least one of which resulted in lost time. There had been about 50 sports-related injuries in Athletics.

b) Stairs - RAWC Dave advised that they have been pressuring the architect to come up with a permanent solution to demarcate the edges of the slate steps. He hopes to have more information by the next meeting..

c) Cell Phone Towers - Update on Testing Environmental Health and Safety will be here on August 27, at 10:00 a.m. to do some testing using newly purchased, specialized equipment. Paull Goldsmith, Len Paris and Rob Eidukaitis will be there.

d) Room Capacity in Labs Rubina and Len will follow up on this item.

e) Health and Safety position at UTM Laura MacDonald advised that she will be taking a leadership role with respect to Health and Safety at UTM. Initially at least, she will be here two days per week. She will bring in other people, depending on the issues. While it is expected the position will report to the Chief Administrative Officer, as Ray is leaving, she will be reporting to Alison Fleming, Acting Vice-Principal, Research while the CAO position is vacant. Initially, three priorities have been identified: 1) training for all staff, including faculty, in labs; 2) conducting a safety audit in all research labs, and using this information to prioritize renovations and other projects; and 3) working with the Committee to identify other issues. Laura proposed, and the Committee agreed, that she meet individually with members of the committee to gather issues of concern; she will then do a short report, and we will try to prioritize the issues. Devin Kreuger was welcomed to the Committee as Alison Fleming's designate.

f) Monthly inspections and list update As some members have resigned, the list needs to be updated. Len will send the list out to members of the Committee for review and suggestions for changes. He urged members to get at least some of their inspections done.

4. New Business

a) Hot water taps in research labs Rubina read an email outlining an issue that had taken place the previous week. On August 14, at 2:00 p.m., in Room 3076, a hot water tap had "blown off", sending hot water shooting up to the ceiling. The sinks in the labs are an ongoing problem, as they leak and cartridges must be replaced frequently. It was suggested the engineers inspect all taps in Rooms 3074 and 3076. Rubina will send the email to Laura MacDonald and Len Paris, and Len will contact Rick Peters in Facilities Management and Planning.

b) Moving of lab equipment during cleaning Rubina asked that when the floors in the chemistry and biology labs are to be waxed, the cleaners advise the lab technicians a day or two ahead of time of the date when the work is to be done. That way, the gas cylinders and other equipment can be safely disconnected and moved out of the way. Louise will contact Adrian about this item.

c) Move your Butt Gayle advised that the Residence Life staff had indicated that they would like to participate in the move your butt campaign. The pamphlets and posters will be updated to include the residence buildings.

d) First Aid kits It was confirmed that departments are responsible for obtaining and restocking their own first aid kits. In cases where departments lack funds, Campus Police (through Jack) can sometimes help them to obtain a kit.

5. Other Business/Announcements The meeting adjourned at 10:05 a.m.

Next Meeting:

Wednesday October 22, 2008, 9:00AM, Room 2068B, South Building