Employer Workplace Insurance Instructions

All eligible students hosted at the organization/placement are covered for either WSIB or Private insurance (ACE-INA) through the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) OR through the University of Toronto (U of T). Coverage will be based on the insurance provided to employees of the organization/placement (i.e. WSIB or Private).

The University of Toronto Mississauga is required to comply with the MAESD & U of T Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) policies related to student accident coverage during students’ unpaid placements.  Additionally, the University of Toronto Mississauga is required to comply with the MAESD’s and U of T’s Private Insurance (ACE-INA) policies related to student accident coverage during a students’ unpaid placement where WSIB is not provided to the placement site/organization’s employees.

NOTE: The MAESD Work/Education Placement Agreement form is no longer applicable.


In the event of an injury/disease involving a UTM student, the student is required to inform the Placement Employer/Supervisor immediately. 

The Placement Employer/Supervisor must contact the Experiential Learning Officer in the UTM Experiential Education Unit within three (3) business days of learning of a work-related injury/disease to determine the appropriate forms to complete and course of action.

Contact: Rena Banwait, Acting Experiential Learning Officer


  • The MAESD has implemented a new streamlined process for students enrolled in an approved Ontario University Program which allows students to complete work placements as part of their course in a program of study.  
  • The Workplace Educational Placement Agreement (WEPA) Form has been replaced with the Postsecondary Student Unpaid Work Placement Workplace Insurance Claim Form – and is to be completed when submitting a claim resulting from an on-the-job injury/disease
  • NOTE: Contact the Experiential Education Unit PRIOR to downloading and completing the form as the student may only qualify for U of T Insurance coverage.
  • The Postsecondary Student Unpaid Workplace Insurance Claim Form has been posted on the MAESD’s website at:

English Version or French Version


The University of Toronto can provide a general liability insurance comfort letter.  If the organization/placement requires a comfort letter please let the Student, the Course Director or the UTM Experiential Education Unit know.  Please note that the comfort letter it is not mandatory.

For additional information and assistance contact:

Rena Banwait
Experiential Learning Officer
University of Toronto Mississauga
Room 3208D, William G. Davis Building
3359 Mississauga Rd.
Mississauga, ON  L5L 1C6

Phone: (905) 828-5295
Fax: (905) 828-3979