Resources for Graduate Students
The UTM Career Centre has both in-person and online resources to give you an edge in developing and managing your career.
Whether you plan on an academic path or a career outside of academia, review our offerings and services below or drop by in-person at DV3094 to learn more!
Click the images below to link to their appropriate sections.
Unsure of your career direction? You are not alone! Finding your focus involves taking a step back and starting with understanding you - your skills, strengths, interests, and career criteria. Learn more about the process of bringing your career goals into focus and how Career Centre resources and services can help you. Start with you...
Meet with an experienced career professional to identify your skills and strengths, generate career options, find your niche and build your ideal career. All our Career Counsellors have Master’s degrees and significant additional training, plus years of experience helping students of all levels and fields of study find and achieve satisfying careers. By appointment (905) 828-5451
Learn more about Career Counselling
Gain insights into building your academic career and gain a competitive edge using our links to relevant resources:
- Investigate academic careers and gain insights into the academic labour market
- Build experience and prepare for careers in academia. Includes resources on publication, teaching skills and other professional development pieces
- Develop your professional network in person, electronically, through conferences and associations
- Conduct an effective job search. Includes CVs, academic cover letters, interviews and references
Discover a wide range of career possibilities that leverage your advanced degree(s), skills and interests using these resources tailored to the needs of graduate students:
- Considering Careers Outside Academia – the challenges and rewards, career paths associated with various disciplines with bios and profiles
- Investigate careers in various industries and sectors and access job boards by industry area
- Build experience and prepare for your career with professional development programs, internships, entrepreneurship programs and technology transfer programs
- Develop your professional networking skills for effective job search
- Conduct an effective job search – move from CV to resume, create compelling cover letters, interview with confidence and leverage your references
Gain insight into career options, investigate opportunities, build your experience, develop your network and conduct an effective job search.
Present your transferrable skills, technical skills, personal qualities and achievements in a way that makes an immediate connection with employer needs and requirements. Whether its a CV for an academic position or a resume that speaks to a specific industry or position, we can help you stand out as a candidate. Book an appointment by calling (905) 828-5451.
Be ready before you get the call! Brush up on your interview skills and prepare to land the job through coaching on best practices and realistic mock interviews. Book an appointment by calling (905) 828-5451.