Research in my lab is directed at understanding the molecular mechanisms that regulate the development and function of neurons. We use multidisciplinary approach in the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster, to create genetic mutants and transgenic flies that perturb genes involved in neural function and development and then assay the effects of the mutations using electrophysiology, biochemistry, electron microscopy and imaging.
There are currently three main areas of research:
- Analysis of development and function of neuromuscular synapses in mutants of the NSF2 gene.
- Structure and functional studies of the n-syb gene.
- Homeostatic mechanisms governing synaptic transmission.
- Kisiel M, Majumdar D, Campbell S, Stewart BA. (2011) Myosin VI contributes to synaptic transmission and development at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. BMC Neurosci. 2011 Jul 11;12(1):65.
- Seabrooke S, Stewart BA. (2011) Synaptic Transmission and Plasticity are Modulated by Nonmuscle Myosin II at the neuromuscular junction of Drosophila. J Neurophysiol 105(5):1966-76.
- Seabrooke S, Qiu X, Stewart BA. (2010) Nonmuscle Myosin II helps regulate synaptic vesicle mobility at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. BMC Neurosci. 11:37
- Prent N, Green C, Greenhalgh C, Cisek R, Major A, Stewart B, Barzda V. (2008) Intermyofilament dynamics of myocytes revealed by second harmonic generation microscopy. J Biomed Opt. 4:041318.
- Seabrooke, S., Stewart, B.A. (2008) Moesin Helps to Restrain Synaptic Growth at the Drosophila Neuromuscular Junction. Developmental Neurobiology. 68:379-381.
- Prent, N., Green, C., Greenhalgh, C., Ciszek, R., Major, A., Stewart, B., Barzda, V. (2008) Inter-myofilament dynamics of myocytes revealed by second harmonic generation microscopy. J Biomed Opt, Vol. 13, 041318; DOI:10.1117/1.2950316.
- Haines, N., Seabrooke, S., Stewart, B.A. (2007) Dystroglycan and Protein O-mannosyltransferases 1 and 2 are required to Maintain Cellular Integrity in Drosophila Larval Muscles. Molecular Biology of the Cell, 18:4721-30
- Greenhalgh, C., Prent, N., Green, C., Cisek, R., Major, A., Stewart, B., Barzda, V. (2007) The influence of crystalline order on the second harmonic generation efficiency in the anisotropic bands of myocytes. Applied Optics, 46:1852-1859.
- Haines, N., Stewart, B.A. (2007) Functional roles for b 1,4-N-acetylgalactosaminyltransferase in Drosophila larval neurons and muscles. Genetics, 175:671-679.