Cell/Tissue Culture Facility
Cell/Tissue Culture Facility
The Cell/Tissue Culture Facility has two locations on campus:
- DV3092K, designated for biological containment level 1 work
- DV1074D is a newly renovated facility that meets all the requirements of biological containment Level 2
The purpose of these facilities is to provide researchers a shared resource necessary to carry out cell/ tissue culture based experiments, and to maintain and store experimental cell lines. The facility will be overseen by a research technician who will ensure a safe and clean environment and also provide customized services upon request.
Monday to Friday: 8:45am to 5pm for access to the technician.
Other times and Weekends / holidays: Can be accessed by key pad.
Core Facility Technician
Department of Biology, Room DV4005
University of Toronto Mississauga
Facility Equipment and Consumables:
For use of the facility equipment listed below, please go to the Equipment Directory for contact information.
- Biological safety cabinets with pipette aids and vacuum aspirators
- Inverted microscopes to observe cell morphology and count cells
- CO2 incubators to culture mammalian cells, plant cells and insect cells
- 37° C water bath
- Eppendorf 5810R centrifuge with swing buckets for 15ml, 50ml and 250 ml tubes
- 4° C refrigerator with freezer to store immediately needed media and reagents
- -20° C chest freezers
- -80° C ultralow freezer
- Liquid Nitrogen storage tank (can be accessed by contacting Prof. Mary Cheng)
- Glass hemocytometer for counting cell numbers
- Freezing box ( VWR brand) for 1-2 ml cryogenic tube, 18 spaces
- Metal sterilizing boxes for glass pipettes 6” and 9”
- Basic consumables for sterilization such as paper towels, 95%/70% ethanol, concentrated /25% bleach, autoclave bags/tapes
The following cell culture services (fees will be associated with some of these services) can be provided. Customized services are also available by contacting the core facility technician; the time commitment for such services will be discussed and a quote will be given using a basic cost of $60/hr (plus cost of materials) for the core facility technician’s time.
- Free short training on the biosafety procedures and equipment introduction for working in the facility. This training must be taken by everyone who is new to the facility.
- Basic cell culture technique training including sterile skills, cell passage, cell counting and plating, thawing and freezing cells. The training can be performed for individual or a group up to 3 people. This training will take place over 10 days. Fee for training is $450 per group (1 person, up to 3 people). Please contact Xin Zhao to make arrangements.
- Maintain cell lines
- Expand and create frozen cell stocks
- Preparation of 0.25% trypsin-EDTA solution, $10/100 ml
- Mammalian cell transfection
- Mammalian cell stable transfection and positive clone selection
- Mycoplasma contamination test